Vice President, Accounting – 21048
World Wildlife Fund (WWF), one of the world's leading conservation organizations, seeks a Vice President, Accounting to be based in Washington, DC. The Vice President, Accounting provides a leadership role in ensuring the fiscal integrity and vitality of the organization. S/he develops and executes a strategic vision for the large-scale accounting and treasury function. S/he provides organizational expertise and direction in all aspects of accounting to program, field staff and headquarters staff and is responsible for developing and maintaining all necessary accounting policies and systems, and financial reporting.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the VP Accounting implements strategies and work plans that support the achievement of WWF's vision and goals. Supervises accounting staff in ensuring all accounting data is up-to-date and accurate to facilitate preparation of analytical reports and forecasts that support strategic decision-making. The VP of Accounting manages the external audit process including completion of audited financial statements in coordination with the finance team and the Uniform Guidance audit.
- Facilitate processes and systems to leverage the WWF's Workday ERP system; implement best practices to facilitate timely, accurate, and actionable financial reporting
- Recognize and proactively anticipate opportunities to improve systems and processes to ensure maximum efficiency and effectiveness
- Identify opportunities and lead the process to establish the accounting function as collaborative and customer-centric
- Help shape an organization-wide culture of financial accountability
- Continually improve and develop an effective accounting function including general ledger, cash-flow, foreign exchange management, treasury, taxes, 990, and audit.
- Coordinate effectively with financial planning and reporting teams as well as with the Director of International Accounting to ensure smooth functioning and efficient workflow
- Develop and maintain a staffing structure and high functioning accounting team to effectively meet the needs of the organization and provide high quality, timely support to all internal clients
- Provide ad-hoc and standard analysis, trend reporting, and sensitivity analysis to inform financial management decisions
- Develop organizational dashboard(s) for financial Key Performance Indicators
- Ensure that appropriate procedures are in place and followed for seeking, receiving, storing, handling, shipping, and acknowledging the distribution of in-kind material resources and other in-kind contributions
- Serve as the technical expert for all accounting issues including keeping up with new FASB pronouncements (e.g. revenue recognition, leases, etc.)
- Direct internal control processes to detect and prevent fraud and to protect organization's resources and assets
- Identify and monitor financial risks and develop appropriate mitigation strategies
- Direct external audit activities including WWF's annual financial statement audit and the annual OMB 2 CFR200 Uniform Guidance audit. Ensure delivery of an on-time, unqualified annual consolidated audit.
- Successfully lead the preparation of and negotiation of WWF's annual "Provisional" and "Final" Negotiated Indirect Cost Rate Agreements (NICRAs) with the U.S. Government.
- Direct WWF's Treasury Operations including the approval and monitoring of WWF's global and domestic bank accounts; initiate strategies to enhance cash positions, maximize returns on excess cash balances, and limit foreign currency exposure
- Oversee timely and accurate processing and recording of all financial transactions in two wholly owned subsidiaries (LLCs) ledgers, including banking, revenue and billing, accounts payable, purchasing, and fixed assets. Monitor and ensure adequate internal control systems exist between the parent and subsidiary companies. Ensure all intercompany accounts (assets, liabilities, revenue, expense) are reconciled.
- Research, interpret, document and implement accounting guidance associated with various accounting issues and standards, including revenue recognition, leases, capitalization of internally developed software.
- Ensures that the internal control processes within the organization are adequate and processes identified for improvement; implement changes.
- Oversees organizational tax issues and filings.
- Represent WWF to financial partners including auditors, vendors, donors, partners, public officials, and network organizations
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field. Active CPA license required.
- Minimum of 15 years of professional experience managing accounting, budget, and financial reporting operations in both for-profit enterprises and complex international development organizations. At least 10 years of senior management experience required. Public accounting experience desirable.
- Experience in directing, overseeing, and managing all banking relations, investments, and financial reporting for cash and investments
- Experience initiating and leading change initiatives with significant organization-wide impact.
- Experience in managing rapid growth in complex environments and developing innovative and creative ways to improve efficiencies, productivity, and effectiveness of an organization.
- Experience with adopting and implementing best business practices in a fast-paced setting.
- Experience working successfully within a highly collaborative and collegial organization.
- Experience leading teams and working in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural setting, preferably at the international level.
- Experience in leading annual audit processes with audit report and footnote disclosure preparation.
- Knowledge of sophisticated ERP systems such as Workday, Adaptive, Oracle, or similar desirable
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills, including the ability to effectively present complex financial data to non-financially trained professionals.
- Demonstrated skill in building strong, effective teams and the ability to lead cross-functional teams.
- Strong organizational and leadership skills to deliver results when faced with multiple, time-sensitive organizational priorities.
- Submit cover letter and resume through our Careers Page , Requisition #21048
- Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone
As an EOE/AA employer, WWF will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or protected Veteran status. WWF values diversity and inclusion and welcomes diverse candidates to apply.