Utility Account Supervisor (Credit)
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in a related field, plus five (5) years of experience providing customer service, including two (2) years of experience which were in a lead or supervisory capacity.
- Related experience may substitute for education up to a maximum of four (4) years.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
Notes to Applicants
The Utility Account Supervisor - Credit will provide daily supervision of Credit & Collections including: issuing deposit refunds, working closely with payment vendors, processing annual unclaimed property, coaching and developing associates, resolving customer conflicts while ensuring customer satisfaction and assigning and monitoring of daily tasks to associates. Partnering with internal stakeholders to ensure credit activities are maximized across divisions and departments. Development, revision and implementation of standard operating procedures, policies and practices. Preparation of financial summaries, performance measures, data and reports for management review.
Working with Austin Energy provides a number of health and welfare benefits such as low-cost medical, dental, vision, paid leave time, a highly competitive retirement plan, career development opportunities and more. Please click HERE for more information.
- The City of Austin employment application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Please be sure to detail on the application all current and previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- The Employment Record should be complete with job titles, employment dates, job duties, functions, and responsibilities for each position held. Starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience from your application.
- Résumés will not be accepted and statements such as "see résumé" will not be accepted. You may use "N/A" for fields that are not applicable.
- Please note that Austin Energy may close the job posting at any time after 7 days from the date of the initial advertisement. Once the job posting has closed, applications cannot be changed.
- Your skill level in some of the competency areas for this job may be assessed through skills testing.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED , undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution.
- If you are identified as a top candidate and are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
- This position requires a criminal background investigation.
- This position is categorized as Essential Personnel with the City of Austin. Essential staff are required to work during emergencies or bad weather if they are scheduled to work and, in some cases, when they are not scheduled. Essential employees ensure the continuance of key operations for the City of Austin.
- Work hours may include after hours, holidays, and weekends.
- Shifts may change according to departmental needs.
- Employee may be required to work additional hours outside of regular work schedule.
Related Work Experience:
- For this posting, Customer Service Experience is defined as interactions with both internal and external customers/consumers in platforms such as face to face and voice.
- Customer Service related experience means utility customer service, accounting/finance, banking, branch, payment channels, remittance processing, credit, and collections.
- For this posting, Utility experience includes electric, water, gas, cable, telephone, or any municipality utility billing.
Fair Labor Standards Act:
- This position is considered FLSA Exempt. Exempt employees are salaried and, except as provided, are not eligible for overtime compensation.
- We are currently working remotely. All training will be conducted remotely. The business anticipates remaining remote for at least the next 90 days.
$28.01 - $36.41
Monday - Friday, 7:30am - 4:30pm.
Shift may change according to departmental needs.
Work hours may include after hours, holidays and weekends.
Additional hours may be required to work outside of regular schedule.
Job Close Date 02/28/2021
Type of Posting External
Department Austin Energy
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location 721 Barton Springs Rd., Austin, Texas 78704
- Experience in a Credit & Collections department for an electric, water, gas, telephone or cable utility.
- Experience handling customer escalations
- Experience processing Unclaimed Property
- Experience coaching and developing a team
- Experience developing, revising and implementing standard operating procedures, processes, practices and policies.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Supervises utility account management activities to ensure timely and correct data related to bill production.
- Assists in resolving customer conflicts and provides options to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Develops, revises, and implements standard operating practices, policies, and procedures for the section/division. Determines goals/objectives/resource requirements for activities within the division.
- Oversees billing, collections, payment, and payment arrangement functions.
- Reviews and approves account documentation. Ensures accuracy of City of Austin Utilities systems of record.
- Provides technical advice and assistance to employees, City management, contractors, and citizens.
- Coordinates division activities with other divisions and departments.
- Prepares financial summaries, operational performance measures, data, and reports for management review.
- Plans, develops, implements, and conducts ongoing education and in-service training programs.
- Provides employees with guidance in handling difficult or complex problems and resolves escalated complaints or issues.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling, and recommendation for dismissal.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of rate structures, utility usage, and conservation methods.
- Knowledge of utility conservation methods and procedures applicable to commercial, industrial, or residential uses.
- Knowledge of supervisory and managerial techniques and principles.
- Knowledge of City practices, policies, and procedures.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in using computers and related software.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Skill in planning and organizing.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Ability to calculate services and rate classification for commercial, industrial, or residential applications.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with City employees and the public.
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* This position requires a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in a related field, plus five (5) years of experience providing customer service, two (2) years of which were in a lead or supervisory capacity. Experience may substitute for education up to a maximum of four (4) years. Do you meet these requirements?
* Describe your experience working in a Credit & Collections department for an electric, water, gas, telephone or cable utility. Provide dates of employment and job title.
(Open Ended Question)
* Describe your experience handling customer escalations. Provide job title and years of employment.
(Open Ended Question)
* Describe in detail your experience processing unclaimed property. Include details such as job title/duties, work examples, dates, and employers.
(Open Ended Question)
* Describe your experience developing, coaching, mentoring and supervising staff (including volunteers), to include personnel development and disciplinary actions. Be sure to include details such as job title/duties, work examples, dates, and employers.
(Open Ended Question)
* This position is categorized as an Essential Personnel position. Essential Personnel are required to come to work during emergencies and/or bad weather if they are scheduled to work and in some cases when they are not scheduled. Can you work this schedule as required?
* If selected as top candidate, do you agree to a Criminal Background Investigation?
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents