Utility Account Specialist (Austin Energy)
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in a related field, plus three (3) years of experience providing customer service for a utility or another commercial/government organization, or other experience related to the job.
- Experience may substitute for education up to a maximum of four (4) years.
Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants
This position primarily reviews utility accounts to prepare them to bill. The Utility Account Specialist ( UAS ) checks electric and water consumption for accuracy; analyzes accounts for potential billing errors; and sets up accounts for proper billing. The Utility Account Specialist will also review billing reports to identify and correct specific errors.
Working with Austin Energy provides a number of health and welfare benefits such as low-cost medical, dental, vision, paid leave time, a highly competitive retirement plan, career development opportunities and more. Please click HERE for more information.
- The City of Austin employment application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Please be sure to detail on the application all current and previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- The Employment Record should be complete with job titles, employment dates, job duties, functions, and responsibilities for each position held. The application must include an explanation and dates of unemployment. Starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience from your application.
- Résumés will not be accepted and statements such as "see résumé" will not be accepted.
- Please note that Austin Energy may close the job posting at any time after 7 days from the date of the initial advertisement. Once the job posting has closed, applications cannot be changed.
- Your skill level in some of the competency areas for this job may be assessed through skills testing.
- Skills assessment may be used to determine selection for interview process after initial applicant review.
- Applicants offered the assessment must receive 70 or better on each assessment to receive an interview.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED , undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution.
- If you are identified as a top candidate and are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
- This position requires a criminal background investigation.
- This position is categorized as Essential Personnel with the City of Austin. Essential staff are required to work during emergencies or bad weather if they are scheduled to work and, in some cases, when they are not scheduled. Essential employees ensure the continuance of key operations for the City of Austin.
- Work hours may include after hours, holidays, and weekends.
- Shifts may change according to departmental needs.
- Employee may be required to work additional hours outside of regular work schedule.
- Fully trained and qualified employees are eligible for telework.
$26.10 - $31.29
Work/Location Schedule Notes:
- Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Work hours may include after hours. holidays, and weekends.
- Additional hours may be required to work outside of normal schedule.
Job Close Date 09/18/2023
Type of Posting External
Department Austin Energy
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location 4815 Mueller Blvd. Austin Texas 78723
- Knowledge and experience in billing, accounting, or bookkeeping.
- Experience working with complex computer systems, such as an enterprise application for accounting or billing like Oracle based CC&B Billing system.
- Ability to work repetitive tasks throughout the workday.
- Ability to follow complex work instructions.
- Ability to analyze and solve complex billing, accounting, or bookkeeping problems.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Reviews utility usage, determines average consumption, verifies rates, investigates potential overcharges, and adjusts customer accounts. Initiates and processes billing and/or payment adjustments and account corrections in accordance with established procedures. Reconciles customer accounts. Places accounts on hold, assesses late fees and charges, and refers customers to other organizations. Reviews and recommends requirements for subdivision development, re-subdivision, and water and wastewater service extensions. Evaluates site/lot plans, criteria, etc. for a variety of projects, programs, and activities. Assists with all assigned utility projects from initiation to completion. Maintains, safeguards, and provides original documents of record. Assists with preparing presentations for successful arguments that represent the utility in hearings, investigations, examinations, or other arenas where disputes are addressed. Assists with developing, revising, and implementing procedures and processes to facilitate the provision of services to customers. Supports the department in development, maintenance, growth, and customer satisfaction. Performs customer outreach through various communication channels and serves as a point of contact for utility programs.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of the applicable principles, laws, rules, regulations, and practices of utility service operations.
- Knowledge of City practice, policy, and procedures.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in using computers and related software.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Skill in planning and organizing.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with City employees and the public.
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
The City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual's AIDS , AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* The minimum qualifications for this position are a graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in a related field, plus three (3) years of experience providing customer service for a utility or another commercial/government organization, or other experience related to the job. Experience may substitute for education up to a maximum of four (4) years. Do you meet the minimum qualifications?
* This position is classified as an "essential" position. The candidate must be able to work during emergencies or bad weather if they are scheduled to work and, in some cases, when they are not scheduled. Shifts may change according to departmental needs. Are you able to meet these schedule requirements?
* This position requires a criminal background check. By selecting the following, you are acknowledging that you understand if you are selected as a top candidate for this position, you will need a successful Criminal Background Investigation (CBI) to be hired.
- I acknowledge and understand this position requires a Criminal Background Investigation (CBI).
* Describe in detail your experience in billing, accounting, or bookkeeping.
(Open Ended Question)
* Do you have experience following complex work instructions to accomplish billing, bookkeeping, or accounting tasks?
* Describe your experience following complex work instructions to accomplish billing, bookkeeping, or accounting tasks
(Open Ended Question)
* Do you have experience doing repetitive billing, bookkeeping, or accounting tasks throughout a workday?
* Describe your experience doing repetitive billing, bookkeeping, or accounting tasks throughout a workday.
(Open Ended Question)
* Do you have experience working with complex billing, bookkeeping, or accounting business computer systems like Oracle based CC&B Billing System?
* Describe in detail your experience working with complex billing, bookkeeping, or accounting business computer systems like Oracle based CC&B Systems.
(Open Ended Question)
* Do you have experience analyzing and solving complex billing, bookkeeping, and accounting problems?
* Describe your experience analyzing and solving complex billing, bookkeeping, and accounting problems.
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents