Temporary – Accounting Associate III (2 Positions)
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited four year college or university with major coursework in a field related to Finance, Accounting, or Economics plus two years of related experience.
- Any combination of related experience and/or education may be substituted.
Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants
This position will support the City of Austin - Austin Transportation Department, Finance Division.
View a Video about the Austin Transportation and Public Works Department by clicking here:
Working for the City of Austin provides a number health and welfare benefits such as low-cost medical, dental, vision, paid leave time, a highly competitive retirement plan, career development opportunities and more. For more information on City of Austin Benefits click here!
Applicant: READ THIS STATEMENT Regarding your Application:
A detailed and complete employment application is required to help us better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Please list your complete employment history (to include all job duties responsibilities and employment dates) on your online application. The application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered (e.g., "see resume" or "see Linked In Profile"). Resumes will not be used to qualify for the position and will not be used to recommend salary.
This position may require a skills assessment.
Close Job Posting:
Department may close the job posting at any time after 7 days.
90 Day Provision for Additional Vacancy:
This posting may be used to fill other vacancies in other sections within the Division. Decisions on assigned section will be made at the time of hire based on business needs.
PLEASE NOTE : Austin Transportation and Public Works positions are not at 100% remote operation.
Video Conferencing Software Technology:
Austin Transportation and Public Works Department uses the communication platform, Microsoft Teams, to conduct virtual interviews.
$24.56 - $28.80 per hour
Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Hours may vary depending on work demands and business needs.
Job Close Date 11/21/2023
Type of Posting External
Department Transportation & Public Works
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location 5202 E. Ben White Blvd, Austin TX 78741
- Experience in Accounts Receivables in Austin Integrated Management System ( AIMS ).
- Experience with the ProCard process, cycles, and deadlines.
- Experience in reconciling complex spreadsheets from multiple sources.
- Ability to problem solve and collaborate with customers, staff, and managers to achieve favorable and timely outcomes.
- Ability to effectively manage time and meet mandatory accounting deadlines.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Prepares, reviews and approves accounting transactions for routine and non-routine accounts payable, cash receipts, billing or other accounting transactions by verifying documentation from multiple sources. Review and reconciles high volume and complicated transactions. Coordinates and prepares asset, liability, and capital account entries by compiling and analyzing account information. Researches and analyzes basic and non-routine asset information for establishment of fixed assets. Performs non-routine and complex duties associated with the reconciliation, balancing or processing of vouchers, ledgers, journals, reports and statements. Prepares complex and non-routine financial analysis and trend analysis of data. Researches and resolves complex and difficult billing, invoicing, financial inquiries, accounting and budget information. Reconciles accounts, identifies and prepares corrections by collecting and analyzing account information and analyzing accounting options. Responds to inquiries requiring knowledge of accounting practices, policies, and procedures. Prepares complex, non-standard financial analysis, data analysis and trend analysis to produce financial and graphical reports. Prepares financial statements and/or special financial reports including balance sheets, income statements, and other reports. Investigates and reconciles accounting transactions, reconciles and resolves discrepancies. Provides root cause analysis of process problems. Maintains information and reviews financial transactions by creating and/or monitoring electronic files and/or accounting documents. Performs financial analysis of special projects and programs as requested. Prepares audit work papers for annual or special audit by accumulating data accurately for assigned area(s) in a timely and accurate manner. Assists in the development of guidelines, procedures and templates for financial review and reporting. Maintains accounting controls and financial security by following policies and procedures and internal controls.
Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles ( GAAP )
- Knowledge of financial reporting concepts and preferred business practices.
- Knowledge of data and trend analysis
- Skill in analyzing and interpreting financial records.
- Skill in processing large volumes of numerical data
- Skill in effective verbal and written communication.
- Skill in operating a personal computer and related equipment.
- Skill in performing basic mathematical calculations.
- Skill in classifying fiscal data and compiling reports.
- Skill in data analysis and financial analysis using spreadsheets.
- Ability to make recommendations to solve complex problems.
- Ability to identify and select appropriate tools and techniques to identify problems and develop solutions.
- Ability to plan and organize tasks to complete projects.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize duties
- Ability to resolve problems or situations requiring the exercise of good judgment.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public.
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
The City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual's AIDS , AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* The minimum qualifications for this position are graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited four year college or university with major coursework in a field related to Finance, Accounting, or Economics plus two years of related experience. Any combination of related experience and/or education may be substituted. DO you meet the minimum qualifications for this position?
* Briefly describe how you meet the minimum qualifications and educational requirements.
(Open Ended Question)
* This position requires a criminal background investigation (CBI). By selecting the following, you are acknowledging that you understand if you are selected as a top candidate for this position, you will need a successful CBI to be hired.
- I acknowledge and understand this position requires a Criminal Background Investigation.
* All applicants applying for this job posting should submit a complete application; resumes submitted should mirror the completed application. Starting salary for the top candidate (s) will only be based on overall relevant experience from your employment application, not the resume or cover letter. Your application will be considered incomplete if your application and resume do not mirror and if your application states "see resume". Do you understand these statements?
* How did you hear about this opportunity? Example: Job board (please specify), Career Fair (please specify), 3rd party recruiting firm, etc.
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Cover Letter Resume Optional Documents