Temporary – Accounting Associate II
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited four year college or university with major course work in a field related to Finance, Accounting, or Economics.
- Up to four (4) years of related experience may be substituted for education.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
Notes to Applicants
The Accounting Associate II will assist in processing Department invoices utilizing paperless method through the financial system and with ProCard, reconcile of vendor statements, office supply statements and assists customer as needed. In addition, this position will maintain process and procedure documentation and internal controls.
- This position supports Austin Public Health's Mission and Core Purpose identified in the Austin Public Health Strategic Plan.
- Departmental Competencies related to the position can be found on Austin Public Health's website.
Immunization Requirement: Due to high-risk areas, Austin Public Health employees must comply with the department's immunization policy.
When completing the City of Austin employment application:
- A detailed, complete COA employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine your salary if you are selected for this position.
- Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- A cover letter is optional. In the cover letter candidates should describe, in concise detail, their interest in this position and highlight any prior experience that is relevant to this position.
- A résumé is required but will not substitute for a complete COA employment application. When completing the City of Austin employment application, the Work experience listed must include a month, year, and a verifiable Supervisor or Human Resources phone number. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Each individual who submits an Application as provided in the Municipal Civil Service Rules and meets the Minimum Qualifications for a Competitive Position shall be considered a Candidate for that Position. Employees, in Good Standing, who are candidates within the Department or division that the Position resides in and who meet the Minimum and Preferred Qualifications (if any) of the Position will be included in the initial interview.
If you are selected to interview:
- Military/Veterans must provide a copy of their DD214 at the time of the initial interview to receive military/veteran interview preference.
- This position will require a pre-employment Criminal Background Investigation ( CBI ).
- If you are identified as a top candidate, verification of your education, which may include High School graduation or GED , undergraduate and/or graduate degrees, will be required.
- All Austin Public Health worksite locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any APH worksite - including parking lots, garages, or in any personal vehicle located on the premises.
Electronic Notification to Applications:
- Applicants will be notified via e-mail to communicate important information related to the status of their application as part of an ongoing effort to increase operational efficiency, promote a green environment and minimize delays and costs. Please ensure that the email address and contact information you provide are current, secure, and readily accessible to you. We will not be responsible in any way if you do not receive our e-mails or fail to check your inbox in a timely manner.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. Please note that the Department may close the job posting at any time after 7 days.
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Evening and weekend work may be required.
Job Close Date 09/14/2023
Type of Posting External
Department Austin Public Health
Regular/Temporary Temporary (No benefits)
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location Bergstrom Tech - 6800 Burleson Rd. Bldg 310
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Prepares and reviews payments, cash receipts, billing or other accounting transactions by verifying documentation and accurately completing transactions. Prepares asset, liability, and capital account entries by compiling and analyzing account information. Performs non-routine duties associated with the reconciliation, balancing or processing of vouchers, ledgers, journals, reports and statements. Researches and resolves complex and difficult billing, invoicing, financial inquiries, accounting and budget information. Reconciles accounts, identifies and prepares corrections by collecting and analyzing account information and analyzing accounting options. Processes travel documentation and monitors credit card activity and ensures that transactions and supplemental documentation is in compliance with policies, procedures and internal controls. Prepares standard and non-standard financial reports, financial analysis, data analysis and graphical data. Prepares financial statements and/or special financial reports including balance sheets, income statements, and other reports. Research and reconciles accounting transactions, fixes discrepancies. Maintains information and reviews financial transactions by creating and/or monitoring electronic files and/or accounting documents. Prepares audit work papers for annual or special audit by accumulating data accurately for assigned area(s) in a timely and accurate manner. Assists in the development of guidelines, procedures and templates for financial review and reporting. Maintains accounting controls and financial security by following policies and procedures and internal controls.
Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles ( GAAP )
- Knowledge of financial reporting concepts and preferred business practices.
- Skill in analyzing and interpreting financial records.
- Skill in processing large volumes of numerical data
- Skill in identifying problems and recommending solutions
- Skill in effective verbal and written communication.
- Skill in operating a personal computer and related equipment.
- Skill in performing basic mathematical calculations.
- Skill in classifying fiscal data and compiling reports.
- Skill in developing complex spreadsheets.
- Ability to plan and organize tasks to complete projects.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize duties
- Ability to resolve problems or situations requiring the exercise of good judgment.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public.
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual's AIDS , AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* The minimum qualifications for this position are: Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited four year college or university with major course work in a field related to Finance, Accounting, or Economics. Up to four (4) years of related experience may be substituted for education. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
* Due to the responsibilities related to this position the top candidate will be subject to the Financial Responsibilities Criminal Background Investigation. Do you agree to submit to this Financial Responsibilities CBI?
* Which of the following best describes your proficiency with Microsoft Excel?
- Basic: create/edit simple spreadsheets, sort data, enter formulas
- Intermediate: create/edit spreadsheets, create charts/graphs from spreadsheet data, hide and unhide rows/columns, use basic functions such as SUM, AVERAGE, and COUNT
- Advanced: develop complex spreadsheets, create charts/graphs/tables, import data from external databases, use AutoFilter to analyze data, use complex functions/formulas for math & logic equations
- Limited or no MS Excel experience, but proficiency with another spreadsheet application such as Lotus 1-2-3 or Apple Numbers
- No experience with Microsoft Excel
* Select the level of experience in Sharepoint.
* Due to working in high risk areas, applicants applying for this position must comply with the departments immunization policy as a condition of employment. Can you meet this requirement?
* In the prior twelve months have you been employed by, owned any interest in, or been an officer or board member, for any business entity, including a non-profit organization, that is transacting any business with the City of Austin, including a recipient of any contracts, grants, or any funds of any kind from the City of Austin?
- Don't know
* If you answered yes to the question above, please describe your experience.
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Resume Optional Documents Cover Letter