Temporary – Accountant I
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to Accounting, twenty-four (24) college semester hours in Accounting, CPA license may substitute for the education requirement.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
Notes to Applicants
The Austin Transportation Department is seeking to fill a temporary Accountant I position for its Finance Division. A primary focus of this position is to provide financial information to management by preparing, researching, and analyzing accounting data; reconcile general ledger and/or bank accounts; and resolve account discrepancies by reconciling statements, transactions, and investigating supporting documentation.
The ideal candidate is responsible for creating and analyzing cash receipts and revenue by compiling electronic data and required documentation Identify and reconcile any variances daily. This position will process revenue collections and/or customer payments in accordance with City policy, applicable laws and regulations.
$23.98 - $30.57
Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
*Hours may vary depending on departmental needs and initiatives
Job Close Date
Type of Posting External
Department Austin Transportation
Regular/Temporary Temporary (No benefits)
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location 901 S. Mopac Expressway / 8900 Cameron Road
- Experience in bank reconciliation
- Prepare general accounting entries and cash receipts
- Experience preparing financial reports and analyzing variances
- Experience downloading data to Excel spreadsheet and creating formulas.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Maintains general ledger information and reviews financial transactions by creating and/or monitoring electronic files and/or accounting documents. Maintains accounting ledgers by posting/reviewing accounting transactions of intermediate dollar-value and complexity, insuring transactions are processed in accordance with City policy, applicable laws and regulations, generally accepted accounting principles ( GAAP ), and sound business practices. Processes revenue collections and/or customer payments; prepares analysis of delinquent accounts, calculating/assessing delinquent fines/fees for supervisor/manager review; prepares accruals and/or other accounting entries in accordance with City policy, applicable laws and regulations, generally accepted accounting principles, GAAP . Prepares grant accounting entries and reconciliations by compiling and analyzing general ledger account information. Reconciles general ledger and/or bank accounts and resolves account discrepancies by reconciling statements and transactions and investigating supporting documentation. Prepares financial statements and/or special reports by preparing balance sheets, income statements, cash flows, and/or other special reports at an intermediate level; collecting, analyzing, and summarizing general ledger account information and trends; conducting variance analysis; applying intermediate skills and knowledge of accounting and reporting requirements of generally accepted accounting principles, GAAP . Prepares audit work papers for annual or special audit by preparing accurate supporting work papers at an intermediate level for assigned area(s) or funds; work is reviewed by other staff; providing explanations of City policy/procedures and responding to auditor's questions/requests in a timely and accurate manner. Prepares asset, liability, inventory, and/or capital accounting entries by compiling and analyzing general ledger account information. Assists departments and other customers by providing procedural/financial information and/or other information and guidance with automated or manual systems. Carries out projects by completing projects of moderate complexity and/or completing parts of complex projects. Maintains financial security by following established internal accounting controls.
Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping procedures.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles ( GAAP ).
- Knowledge of the preparation process of financial statements in conformity with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Knowledge of financial reporting concepts and preferred business practices.
- Skill in effective verbal and written communication.
- Skill in analyzing and interpreting financial records.
- Skill in processing large volumes of numerical data.
- Skill in performing basic mathematical calculations.
- Skill in classifying fiscal data and compiling fund level statements and reports.
- Skill in operating a personal computer and related equipment.
- Skill in designing spreadsheets and utilizing word processing and database software.
- Skill in analyzing, preparing, checking and balancing routine fiscal transactions and accounts.
- Ability to prepare accurate financial statements at an intermediate level of complexity.
- Ability to resolve problems or situations requiring the exercise of good judgment.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* The minimum qualifications of this position are graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to Accounting, twenty-four (24) college semester hours in Accounting, CPA license may substitute for the education requirement. Do you meet the minimum qualifications of this position?
* Briefly describe how you meet the minimum qualifications and educational requirements.
(Open Ended Question)
* How would you rate your experience with cash receipts, accounts receivables, journal vouchers, and account reconciliations?
- Above Average
* If identified as a top candidate, do you agree to a Criminal Background Investigation (CBI)?
* If selected for this position, the relevant work history on your application is used to determine your rate of pay. Your submission of a complete application is critical to the pay calculation. Your overall relevant experience from your employment application will be used in this calculation, not the resume or cover letter. Do you understand these statements?
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Cover Letter Resume Optional Documents