Student Account Specialist (531380)
The purpose of this position is to provide excellent customer service to University students entailing the maintenance of student and sponsor's accounts which includes the review, processing, and billing of charges to the account, the processing of refunds, the collection of balances owed, and the application of payments collected. Ensuring the financial integrity of student accounts as well as the sponsor's accounts through the performance of the necessary reconciliations and analyses.
- Ensure the integrity of the student account financial data.
- Prepare account reconciliations and various individual delinquent accounts analyses.
- Maintenance of Student and 3rd Party Accounts Receivable.
- Review charges to student accounts to ensure their validity prior to billing the student.
- Provide customer service to students.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Good working knowledge of accounting theory and practices with emphasis on Accounts Receivable in a highly automated system for a large enterprise.
- Excellent customer services skills, which include the ability to understand, interpret, and communicate complex rules and policies to non-sophisticated customers. Also, to be able to communicate with the campus community and other external sources.
- Excellent interpersonal skills which includes the ability to effectively work with an ethnically and culturally diverse environment and the ability to foster cooperation between peers and co-workers.
- Good working knowledge of personal computer applications which include Word Processing and Spreadsheet Software.
- Good organization and follow-up skills which will result in timely and effective completion of work assignments.
Ability to communicate with an ethnically and culturally diverse campus community. Ability to follow all university policies, procedures, and guidelines including but not limited to safety, civility, information security, and non-discrimination policies and procedures. Ability to contribute to a positive university experience for each and every student, and assist in achieving the university's commitment to a "vision of excellence."
Education and Experience
- Equivalent to four years of progressively responsible financial record-keeping experience required.
- 4 year college degree preferred with a major in Accounting/Finance or equivalent.
- Sedentary work - Involves mainly sitting. Walking and standing are minimal. Lifting is limited to lightweight objects. (10 pounds or less).
Student Accounting Services
Accounting Technician III
Salary placement is determined by the education, experience, and qualifications the candidate brings to the position, internal equity, and the hiring department's fiscal resources.
Hiring Range: $3,779 - $4,134 per month commensurate with candidate's education, experience, skills, and training.
CSU Classification Salary Range: $3,779 - $6,632 per month.
Excellent benefits through CalPERS (health, vision, dental), tuition fee waiver, generous vacation and sick leave, and 14 paid holidays each year.
1.0 time-base, 40 hours per week.
Duration of Appointment
This is a temporary position for 1 year with no permanent status granted. Temporary assignments may expire prior to the ending date.
Click Apply Now to complete the CSULB Online Employment Application.
PLEASE FILL OUT THE APPLICATION COMPLETELY. It is important that all sections of the on-line application are filled out completely and accurately. Please include all relevant education and experience. Your application will be used to determine whether you meet the minimum qualifications for this position.
CSULB is not a sponsoring agency for staff and management positions (i.e. H-1B Visas).
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily and is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
Due to the nature of this position, current CSULB employees are subject to a criminal record check unless they have successfully completed a criminal background check through CSULB within the past 12 months.
California State University Long Beach expects respectful, professional behavior from its employees in all situations. Acts of harassment or abusive conduct are prohibited. Demonstrated appropriate professional behavior, treating others with civility and respect, and refusing to tolerate abusive conduct is expected of all employees.
Equal Employment Statement
California State University Long Beach is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that is strongly committed to promoting diversity in all areas of the campus community. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, physical or mental disability, gender or sex, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, and veteran or military status.
We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact StaffHR-Accommodations@csulb.edu .
Out of State Employment Policy
California State University, Long Beach, as part of the CSU system, is a State of California Employer. As such, the University requires all employees upon date of hire to reside in the State of California.
As of January 1, 2022 the CSU Out-of-State Employment Policy prohibits the hiring of employees to perform CSU-related work outside the state of California.
Closing Date/Time: September 26, 2023