Staff Analyst – Fund Accountant
Applications will be accepted from: All Interested Parties
Division/ Section: Finance
Workdays & Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, Occasional Weekend/Holidays (Subject to change)
PURPOSE OF DIVISION
The purpose of the Finance and Administration Division is to ensure that the Houston Airport System generates the financial resources required to provide the facilities and services that passengers want. The Division ensures the proper internal and external reporting of the financial activities of the Houston Airport System.Additionally, Finance and Administration is charged with assisting the organization in decision making as it related to pursuing new projects, funding/financing projects and provide financial analysis in particular for capital investments. The Division is also responsible for internal controls.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Staff Analyst in the Construction Accounting Asset area assumes a pivotal role in the administration of all construction funds. This position is entrusted with the critical responsibilities of diligently reviewing and reconciling all construction funds, ensuring the financial integrity of our projects.
In addition to fund oversight, The Staff Analyst plays a proactive role in maintaining the financial health of our operations by providing timely monthly schedules and ad hoc reports. These reports serve as essential tools for assessing and assuring internal control compliance, thereby upholding the highest standards of financial accountability within our organization.
Furthermore, as a catalyst for continuous improvement, the Staff Analyst is empowered to propose and implement procedures as needed. This proactive approach ensures the correction of any anomalies, the enhancement of existing processes, and the streamlining of workflows, all contributing to greater operational efficiency.
Beyond these responsibilities, the Staff Analyst acts as valuable liaison within HAS and other departments within the City of Houston, by fostering improved information flow and collaboration. Their role is pivotal in safeguarding the fiscal health of our projects and ensuring the seamless flow of information.
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Investigates and makes recommendations for addressing issues of medium complexity and/or sensitivity.
- May be assigned management responsibilities on a limited basis for certain functions, units, or programs.
- Compiles data, produces information and interprets results through conclusion or recommendation formulation. Develops reports, special documents or publications as assigned.
- Completes special projects as assigned, working on a wide variety of financial, administrative, professional, management and community issues and problems of simple to medium complexity.
- Represents supervisor at meetings and functions generally to gather information.
- Handles highly confidential information.
- Prepares, edits, and revises department policy and procedure manuals. Responds to correspondence, requests for information, etc. as assigned by supervisor.
- May participate in the development of management and administrative policies, procedures, and master plans with both short- and long-term objectives. Analyzes and reviews management practices and procedures and develops recommendations for improvement.
- Negotiates solutions for problems of simple to medium complexity as assigned by supervisor.
- Interprets administrative policies and oversees communication with department personnel regarding these policies.
- Participates in evaluation and design of workflow, processes, various operations systems, etc.
- Develops technological solutions and systems for continuous improvement programs and other appropriate applications.
There are no major sources of discomfort, i.e., essentially normal office environment with acceptable lighting, temperature, and air conditions. The position is physically comfortable; the individual has discretion about walking, standing, etc. This position requires the ability to make simple gross motor responses within large tolerances.
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or a field directly related to the type of work being performed.
Graduate degrees related to the type of work to be performed may substitute for the experience requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Three years of professional administrative, financial, or analytical experience related to the type of work being performed are required.
Professional experience related to the type of work to be performed may substitute for the education requirements on a year - for - year basis.
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.**
Preference shall be given to candidates with experience in/with:
- Reconciliation process of funds.
- Analysis of construction funds.
SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED
The selection process will involve application review and/or interview. Department may administer skills assessment test.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION
YES - If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Pay Grade 26
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during active posting period. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov .
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or call (281-233-1858). If you need login assistance or technical support call 855-524-5627. If you need special services or accommodations, call (281-233-1858). (TTY 7-1-1)
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.
Applicants are encouraged to attach a cover letter and resume along with their completed application when applying. For further information pertaining to the Houston Airport System, please visit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDWLV_sJFoM .
EOE Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
Closing Date/Time: 11/21/2023 11:59 PM Central