Senior Accounting & Business Services Specialist (528641)
Under the oversight of the Director of Administrative Services, the Senior Accounting and Business Services Specialist oversees a variety of broad and complex financial, accounting and budgeting services related to trust, bond, general fund, and auxiliary accounts. Provides lead group direction and day-to-day financial oversight of budget, payroll, accounting, project accounting, procurement, and cost recovery. Provides strategic leadership and analysis in the utilization of information systems within the department and input to recommended policies that have a major operational impact.
- Provides recording and reporting of accounting and financial transactions, ensuring that all fiscal operations are in compliance with CSU and Campus requirements
- Administers and processes escrow agreements on all Public Works contracts and approves the request to State Treasurer for contractor payment; audits, prepares financial reports for submission to the Chancellor's Office
- Oversees internal department procurement requirements and is a liaison between University Purchasing, Accounting, and Accounts Payable departments
- Provides work lead direction and supervisory oversight to a professional of five staff while participating in the work
- Exercises discretion and independent judgment in setting priorities, determining methods and troubleshooting issues for others
- Provides leadership and support for departments in understanding and maximizing CMS system functions
- Interprets new and existing federal and state regulations and their effect on areas of assigned responsibility
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of and ability to apply extensive expertise to complex principles and practices of fiscal management
- Ability to communicate with constituents in a professional and respectful manner
- High proficiency in PC compatible software programs such as Word, EXCEL and Access
- Ability to use persuasion and negotiation skills to build consensus to achieve short-and long-term goals and objectives
- Ability to analyze computerized accounting records, and to research and correct computer data errors
- Thorough knowledge of PeopleSoft financials module
- Ability to develop, design databases, and create reports
- A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training
- Six years of administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs
- Accounting experience preferred in construction management, facilities management, and/or governmental accounting
- Minimum of five years of progressively responsible professional accounting experience
- Work experience in a State, College, or University setting OR within a large, complex business setting
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist - Exempt III
Anticipated Hiring Range: $7,490/month - $9,465/month
CSU Salary Range: $6,322/month - $12,285/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: June 16, 2023 through July 5, 2023. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU strongly recommends that all individuals who access any in-person program or activity (on- or off-campus) operated or controlled by the University follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications and comply with other safety measures established by each campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com .
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Incumbent is also required to promptly report any knowledge of a possible Title IX related incident to the Title IX Office or report any discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation to the Office of Equal Opportunity.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf . The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at email@example.com .
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled