Senior Accountant (Cascade) City of San José, Department of Finance
In anticipation of potential promotional opportunities, the Finance Department is conducting a cascade opportunity, as the finance department currently is seeking to fill two (2) Senior Accountant positions in Finance's Specialized Accounting work unit and up to two (2) Accountant positions should the Senior Accountant or subsequent positions recruitment result in a vacancy. If you are interested in employment in any of these positions, you should apply to ensure you are considered.
Please see below for details of the Senior Accountant positions and the general duties of an Accountant.
Senior Accountant (Specialized Accounting)
The Senior Accountants generally report directly to the Supervising Accountants. The essential duties of a Senior Accountant position may include but are not limited to:
- Manage and act as the financial reporting liaison between the City Manager's Office and management and staff of outside contractors engaged by the City to manage and operate City-owned facilities
- Analyze complex accounting, fiscal and technical information and develop monitoring mechanisms to protect City assets
- Conduct review of accounting systems utilized by contractors managing City-owned facilities
- Perform analyses on financial and operational information provided by outside parties to which the City has financial interest or exposure
- Supervise and provide direction and technical guidance to staff in debt and special assessments accounting, and deferred compensation accounting
- Manage customer service by responding to questions and interpreting program goals and policies related to assigned areas
- Assist in the preparation of the City's Annual Comprehensive Financial Report
- Assist in the research, interpretation and implementation of new GASB pronouncements
- Assist in coordinating audits conducted by internal and external auditors and other government audit agencies
- Assist in the preparation and completion of financial reports in accordance with GAAP, federal and state requirements, regulations, and laws as well as City policies and procedures
- Prepare and deliver presentations to committees and/or stakeholders in areas of responsibility
- Perform other duties and assignments as assigned.
The accountants generally report directly to the Senior Accountants. The general duties of an Accountant I/II position may include but are not limited to:
- Collects, analyzes, interprets, and documents fiscal and operating data, including verification of revenue and expenditures; prepares or assists in the preparation of financial statements and reports; verifies and balances cash accounts, by reconciling to bank accounts; maintains the computerized general accounting system master files
- Provides banking services to ensure segregation of duties; checks for positive pay exceptions; uploads Workers' Comp positive pay files; performs backup print disbursement checks for Accounts Payable, Payroll and Successor Agency.
- Conducts routine/less complex audits, notes discrepancies and files reports and recommendations.
- Interprets operating procedures and rules and regulations for staff including City Ordinances, various contractual agreements, and improvement district resolutions; analyzes fiscal transactions to assure conformity and compliance with accepted accounting procedures and practices, City codes and ordinances.
- Interfaces with data processing in developing automated accounting procedures; develops or revises procedures for handling financial transactions based on legal requirements.
- Performs other related duties as required.
The final candidate's qualifications and experience shall determine the actual salary. In addition to the starting salary, employees in this classification shall also receive an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing non-pensionable compensation pay, which is included in the range below.
The Senior Accountant salary range is $ 102,800.88 - $125,252.40/ annually
The Accountant I salary range is $ 79,847.04 - $97,,100.64/annually
The Accountant II salary range is $ 87,163.44 - $105,924./annually
Per the City's COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy , Per the City's COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy, the City requires all new hires to provide proof of vaccination as a condition of employment absent an approved medical or religious exemption. "Fully vaccinated" means the employee has received two doses of Pfizer, Moderna or Novavax or a single dose of Johnson & Johnson.
Please be aware that as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the City of San José has moved to a hybrid work environment. The selected candidate will be required to be onsite at least three (3) days per week. In the initial period of employment, onsite expectations will be higher as the selected candidate becomes more familiar with the Department and City. The selected candidate will also be assigned a laptop by the City with all software and software access required to perform the assigned duties remotely. The selected candidate will be required to have/provide their own internet connectivity and other requirements as specified in the City's Remote Access Policy 1.7.3 to be able to fully perform their responsibilities remotely.