Senior Account Clerk – Regular & Extra Help
Grow your accounting career with the County of Sonoma
in the Auditor-Controller-Treasurer-Tax Collector's Office!
Starting salary up to $28.38/hour ($59,232/year), plus a cash allowance of $600/month, and a competitive total compensation package!*
Do you have?
- Prior bookkeeping andaccounts payable/receivable experience
- Significant experience using systems and databases to create reports, extract and analyze data, and make recommendations
- The ability toprepare, maintain, and reconcilefinancial transactions in an accurate, timely manner
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills,with the ability topleasantly and effectively interact with employees, managers, and other agency personnel
- Strong computer skills, including experience with Excel, Outlook,and Financial/Accountying systems
- The drive to provide exemplary customer service
Apply now and takethe first step towards building your career in public service!
What We Offer
The Countyoffersan excellentopportunity for career growth and the ability to become acontributing force instrengthening our community. When you join the County of Sonoma, you become part of a challenging and rewarding work environment, whereyou can look forward to a competitive total compensation package* including:
- An annual Staff Development/Wellness Benefit allowance up to $500 and ongoing education/training opportunities
- Competitive vacation and sick leave accruals, 12 paid holidays, and an additional 8 floating holiday hours per year
- Significant portion of health care premiums paid by the County and access to several health plan options
- County contribution to a Health Reimbursement Arrangement to help fund post-retirement employee health insurance/benefits
- Retirement fully integrated with Social Security
- May be eligible forup to8 weeks (320 hours) of Paid Parental Leave after 12 months of County employment
- Eligibility for a salary increase after 1,040 hours (6 months when working full-time) for good work performance; eligibility for a salary increase for good performance every year thereafter, until reaching the top of the salary range
*Salary is negotiable within the established range. Benefits described herein do not represent a contract and may be changed without notice. Additional information can found in the Service Employees International Union Local 1021 Memorandum Of Understanding (SEIU MOU) .
Join the County of Sonoma and Become a Senior Account Clerk
Account clerks maintain and review financial and statistical records for their department, agency, and/or commission.As leaders, Senior Account Clerks provide direction to other clerical accounting personnel,guide and trainemployees, and may participate in the new hire selection process.When you join the County as a Senior Account Clerk you will become a subject matter expert, usingindependent judgment and discretion to confer with staff, management, and other County departments and agencies regarding best practices and County policies/procedures related to processing and maintaining financial records.
This recruitment is being conducted to fill three full timeand fourtemporary, extra-help Senior Account Clerkpositions in theAuditor-Controller-Treasurer-Tax Collector's Office. This employment list may also be used to fill future regular or extra-help positions as they occur during the active status of this list. County employees who wish to be considered for future positions should consider applying to this recruitment .
Extra-help employees relieve or augment permanent staff. Temporary, extra-help employees are not in the classified civil service and do not have property rights to permanently allocated positions. In addition, they do not receive most employee benefits such as: long-term disability insurance coverage; accrual of vacation; participation in the County retirement program; or eligibility to take promotional examinations. Temporary, extra-help employees are limited in their employment to a maximum of one calendar year. These employees must be off of work for three months before they can be re-employed on an extra help basis.Extra-help employees who meet the eligibility requirements may qualify for aCounty contribution towardmedical coverage.APPLICATION SUBMISSIONS REQUIRE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE BE COMPLETED.
Education and Experience: Any combination of education, training, and experience which would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities. Normally, this would include completion of 12 semester units or 16 quarter units in accounting, record keeping, business math, or a closely related field; and one year of responsible full-time experience which includes the review, processing, and maintenance of fiscal transactions and accounts, or statistical data and records.
Some coursework in accounting, record keeping, business math, or a closely related field, and two years of increasingly responsible full-time experience which includes the review, processing, and maintenance of fiscal transactions and accounts, or statistical data and records.
License: Possession of a valid driver's license at the appropriate level including special endorsements, as required by the State of California, may be required depending upon assignment to perform the essential job functions of the position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Considerable knowledge of: methods, practices, and terminology used in financial and statistical clerical work, including working knowledge of costs and budgetary accounting principles, and double entry bookkeeping; government and departmental policies, regulations, and procedures in order to satisfactorily perform assigned account or statistical record keeping functions, resolve the related problems, or assess acceptability of work performance and procedures; department services, organization, and functions to proficiently plan, prioritize, coordinate, implement, direct, review, and perform work assigned to a clerical accounting section.
Working knowledge of: basic arithmetic to include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of whole numbers, fractions, decimals, and derivatives in order to count, calculate, balance, check, and adjust fiscal and/or statistical data; modern office methods and procedures; database, spreadsheet, and word processing applications.
Ability to:exercise judgment and technical skill in performing assigned duties without direct supervision; work with tabular detail such as codes, figures, and numbers; set up and revise account or statistical record keeping procedures and records; review, code, post, adjust, and summarize fiscal transactions or statistical data; maintain and reconcile control records; prepare final reports and statements; oversee the maintenance of financial and statistical records, and act as a subject matter resource to other workers; provide lead direction to other clerical accounting staff; make arithmetic computations rapidly and accurately; use and understand common database, spreadsheet, and word processing applications; transcribe data and record information neatly and legibly; establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers and the general public; operate office equipment such as adding machines, calculators, and computers in order to post, balance, summarize, and adjust data; type accurately.
Selection Procedure & Some Helpful Tips When Applying
- Your application information and your responses to the supplemental questions are evaluated and taken into consideration throughout the entire selection process.
- You should list all employers and positions held within the last ten years in the work history section of your application and should be as thorough as possible when responding to the supplemental questions.
- You may include history beyond ten years if related to the position for which you are applying. If you held multiple positions with one employer, list out each position separately.
- Failure to follow these instructions may impact your competitiveness in this process or may result in disqualification.
Please visit Getting-a-Job with the County of Sonoma to review more detailed information about the hiring process, including the application process, examination steps, and department selection process.
APPLICATION SUBMISSIONS REQUIRE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE BE COMPLETED.
Responses to supplemental questions will be scored using position-specific criteria. Please provide specific and detailed responses of a reasonable length to allow for thorough assessment of your qualifications. Responses which state "See Resume" or "See Application" may be considered insufficient and therefore may not be scored.
The selection procedure will consist of the following examination:
AnApplication & Supplemental Questionnaire Appraisal Examination(weight 100%) will be conducted to evaluate each applicant's application and supplemental questionnaire for satisfaction of minimum qualifications (pass/not pass); and for educational coursework, training, experience, knowledge, and abilities which relate to this position. Each applicant will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Relevance of work history, related experience, and achieved level of education and/or training as described in the application and responses to the supplemental questions.
Candidates demonstrating possession of the minimum qualifications will be placed on an employment list in order of most qualified to least qualified based on the achieved score received in the Application & Supplemental Questionnaire Appraisal Examination.Scores may be adjusted based on such factors as number of candidates, anticipated vacancies, past practice, and natural breaks in the scores achieved by this group of candidates.
A background investigation is required prior to employment. Candidates referred to departments for a selection interview are typically required to sign authorization and release forms enabling such an investigation. Failure to sign prescribed forms will result in the candidate not being considered further for that vacancy. Reference information will not be made available to applicants.
Additional requirements, such as successful completion of a physical exam, drug screen, etc., may apply, depending on the duties and responsibilities of the position. If you receive a conditional job offer for the position, the requirements upon which the offer are contingent will be outlined in the conditional job letter. You may also review the Job Classification Screening Schedule to determine the requirements for this position.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications are accepted on-line at: www.yourpath2sonomacounty.org . Paper applications may be submitted by person, fax (707-565-3770), email, or through the mail. All applications and appropriate supplemental information as outlined in the job bulletin must be RECEIVED by the time and date specified on the first page of this job announcement. Applications received after the recruitment closes will not be accepted.
The County of Sonoma prioritizes and is committed to continuously providing a workplace where equal employment opportunity is afforded to all people.Please view the County's Equal Employment Opportunity Policy for further information.
HR Analyst: DTS
HR Technician: RR