The City of Riverside Finance Department is currently accepting applications from experienced professionals for the position of PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTANT . The eligibility list established may be used to fill the current and/or upcoming vacancies within this classification for up to six (6) months.
The Principal Accountant position duties will consist of assisting with preparation and review of Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR) and other required financial statements; assisting with research and implementation of new Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) pronouncements; preparing and/or presenting City Council and Committee reports and presentations as needed; assisting with fiscal month-end and year-end closing; preparing and reviewing journal entries; coordinating audit related activities with other City departments, divisions and sections, and outside agencies; supervising, training, and evaluating subordinates as assigned; inputting and maintaining City chart of accounts; analyzing and adjusting various accounts, funds and/or department information within the City's financial system, overseeing the input and maintenance of the capital asset module; overseeing the accounting and recording of federal, state and local grant funds; overseeing the monthly and year-end bank reconciliations; and assisting departments with accounting related questions.
Typical duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Examine accounts and records for proper authorizations, certifications and distribution of charges.
- Supervise control over general and subsidiary ledger controls.
- Review and verify journal and ledger entries and trial balances.
- Inspect accounting system to determine efficiency and protective value.
- Develop and maintain internal controls.
- Review records pertaining to inventory and fixed assets such as equipment and buildings to determine effective utilization.
- Analyze data obtained for deficiencies in control, duplication of effort, extravagance or lack of compliance with established policies and procedures.
- Prepare reports of findings and recommendations.
- Instruct and advise on preparation of financial statements and other related records and reports.
- Conduct special investigations/projects as assigned.
- Work with outside auditors to insure reports reflect the proper financial condition of the City or Redevelopment Agency.
- Prepare federal and state grant reports.
- Review and perform various reconciliations.
- Perform internal operational audits as needed.
- Coordinate audit related activities with other City departments, divisions and sections and outside agencies.
- Submit, coordinate and recommend changes to information systems as required to meet federal, state and municipal requirements.
- Supervise, train and evaluate subordinates as assigned.
Education: A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in accounting.
Experience: Five years of experience in professional accounting, preferably including two years in a supervisory capacity.
Highly Desired Qualifications:
- California Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Public Accounting auditing experience
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON SCHEDULING ASSESSMENTS:
If you are selected to move forward in the assessment process, you may be required to self-schedule your appointment. You will be notified via email of your status and provided with self-scheduling instructions. Please check your email regularly following the closing date of this recruitment.
The selection process will begin with an employment application package screening, with the best qualified candidates being invited to participate further in the assessment process. This process may include any combination of written, performance, and oral assessments to evaluate job-related education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. Those who successfully complete the selection process will be placed on the eligibility list for this classification.
It is the responsibility of candidates with a disability requiring accommodation in the assessment process to contact the Human Resources Department in writing to request such accommodation prior to the closing date of this recruitment.
Appointment may be subject to the successful completion of a pre-employment background investigation, drug screen, and/or medical/physical examination.
NOTE : The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards. Candidates may reapply when there is a posting to establish an eligibility list.
Proof of education listed in your application will be requested at the time of conditional offer. Acceptable documentation consists of transcripts or degree, if applicable, by the accredited U.S. college or university.
Education obtained outside the United States (US) require one of the following options:
- An equivalency statement from an evaluation company certified by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) at http://www.naces.org/members.html or the Association of International Credential Evaluators Inc. (AICE) at http://aice-eval.org/members/.
- An advanced-level degree from an accredited US college or university.
All applicants will be notified via e-mail or telephone of their application status and the assessment dates/times/locations after the closing date of this announcement.
THE PROVISIONS OF THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT DO NOT CONSTITUTE AN EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CONTRACT.