Lead Accountant III (530849)
The Lead Accountant III position performs advanced professional accounting work requiring a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of accounting principles and practices and substantial judgment and discretion in Accounting Services. Incumbent will lead the day-to-day activities and review the work of clerical, technical or professional employees engaged in accounting, financial record-keeping, or financial reporting work, and provide input to the employee performance evaluation process. This Accountant III position focuses primarily, but not exclusively, on Student Finance, Financial Aid, and various tax reporting requirements.
- Ensure that assigned accounting activities are carried out in accordance with established policies and procedures and generally accounting standards
- Lead the day-to-day activities, review and approve the works of various functions with Accounting Services
- Provide training, guidance, and assistance to Accountants I and II and other professional and technical staff. Guide cross-training of staff to ensure continued operations in case of absences
- Cross train, as needed, to assist other Accountant positions
- Provide input to the employee performance evaluation process
- Assure that assigned accounting reporting systems and procedures are in compliance with established administrative policies and procedures and acceptable accounting standards
- Analyze accounting control procedures. Document and maintain business processes
- Periodically review and recommend/implement improvements to standards and procedures
- Interpret financial reports and statements and identify problem areas
- Prepare complex financial statements and reports
- Analyze account balances and reconcile balances to external data
- Identify actual or potential problems, and recommend corrective or preventative action.
- Assist in correcting and reconciling General Ledger balances
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to communicate with constituents in a professional and respectful manner
- Extensive knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Ability to present statistical and mathematical data
- Advanced proficiency with current word processing and spreadsheet software programs, web browsers, query tools, integrated financial systems and/or other types of records management systems
- General knowledge of governmental accounting, internal control methods, and related laws, rules and regulations
- Working knowledge of federal student financial aid annual reporting requirements, and quarterly grant reporting requirements
- Ability to interpret and follow instructions and policy guidelines
- Ability to analyze financial and statistical data to draw conclusions
- Utilize problem solving techniques
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
- Ability to communicate effectively with others inside and outside the organization, including conveying technical information to non-accountants
- Ability to understand, interpret, and apply applicable laws, rules, regulations, policies, and principles as a basis for decisions and recommendations regarding accounting activities
- Ability to prepare complex financial statements and reports
- Equivalent to a bachelor's degree with a major in accounting, business administration, finance or a closely related field or a combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities
- Five years of professional level accounting experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field; CPA or MBA
- 5 years of professional accounting experience including 3 years in a supervisory capacity
- Experience in higher education and/or fund accounting
- Experience using Oracle PeopleSoft ERP (or similar) software
- Knowledge of Federal, State, CSU and SJSU practices, policies and procedures
Classification: Accountant III
Anticipated Hiring Range: $7,500/month - $8,333/month
CSU Salary Range: $5,242/month - $10,116/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: August 17, 2023 through August 31, 2023. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU strongly recommends that all individuals who access any in-person program or activity (on- or off-campus) operated or controlled by the University follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications and comply with other safety measures established by each campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com .
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Incumbent is also required to promptly report any knowledge of a possible Title IX related incident to the Title IX Office or report any discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation to the Office of Equal Opportunity.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf . The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at email@example.com .
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled