ANNOUNCES EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY FOR Junior Accountant Full-Time POSITION: $45.70 - $55.56 per hour Filing Deadline: 5:00 pm September 25, 2020 Please apply online at: cityofpleasantonca.gov THE DEPARTMENT The Finance Department is responsible for the safekeeping, management and accounting of the City's financial assets. The Department provides City financial information to the public, the City Council, the City Manager, and other City departments. The Department plays a significant role in the preparation and monitoring of the City's budgets, payroll and financial audits. THE COMMUNITY One of Northern California's premier residential and business communities, Pleasanton is well-regarded as an attractive and friendly city with a strong heritage, active and involved residents, a wide variety of services, well planned business areas, a historic downtown and well- cared for homes in family oriented neighborhoods. TO BE CONSIDERED If you are interested in this outstanding career opportunity, please consider submitting your application and supplemental questionnaire through our online application process at www.cityofpleasantonca. gov. Applications are also available at the Human Resources Department, City of Pleasanton, 123 Main Street, Pleasanton, CA 94566. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Deadline for application submission is 5:00 p.m. on Friday, September 25, 2020. Postmarks will not be accepted. SELECTION PROCESS Meeting the minimum requirements listed in this job description does not guarantee advancement in subsequent phases of the selection process. The qualifications of each applicant, as set forth in the employment application, will be reviewed. The most qualified candidates will be invited to participate in an oral examination process, which may include practical and written exercises intended to assess the candidate's ability to perform certain duties of the position. COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
• $45.70 - $55.56 per hour
• Choice of One of Four Comprehensive Health Plans
• Dental and Vision Plan Coverage
• Life Insurance and AD&D Coverage of $35,000
• 11 Paid Holidays
• Floating Holidays
• Paid Sick Leave
• Short Term/Long Term Disability Plan
• Annual Vacation Beginning with 10 Days
• CalPERS Retirement Plan All aspects of employment shall be without regard to sex, disability, race, political affiliation, religious creed, natural origin, or age. Reasonable accommodations will be made for disabled applicants. Candidates will receive all communications by email regarding the recruitment process, which includes, but is not limited to, application status, testing dates, and interview scheduling. If you require an alternate means of communications or any special needs requirements, please contact Human Resources at (925) 931-5048. The Position Under the direction of Financial Services Manager, the Junior Accountant performs responsible accounting work in the following areas: Internal auditing, investments, assessment district accounting, budget preparation and control, general ledger maintenance, preparation of financial reports and studies, and governmental grant administration. Performs related work as required.
• Reviews purchase orders, accounts payable claims, and revenues to ensure appropriate authorization, coding and amounts paid or collected. Identifies and resolves cash handling and revenue reporting problems; resolves bank reconciliation problems and makes recommendations to change procedures if needed. Responsible for accounts receivable billings and collections.
• Prepares routine monthly and annual general ledger entries. Posts budget and journal voucher uploads. Prepares and maintains a variety of subsidiary ledgers such as accounts receivable, trusts, fixed assets, outside agencies, etc. Balances subsidiary ledgers and worksheets to the general ledger, and analyzes account balances. Researches and resolves problems and anomalies. Assists with other monthly and yearly general ledger closing duties as assigned.
• Assists with the investment, recording and monthly reporting of City funds.
• Prepares reports and processes requests for payments associated with county, state and federal grants. Coordinates grant accounting with Public Works and staff of other departments.
• Prepares financial reports required by other public agencies.
• Undertakes miscellaneous financial studies and reports as assigned. Accepts special assignments such as accounting for transactions relating to other public agencies.
• Administers assessment district or other debt including maintenance of accounting records, amortization schedules, audit confirmations, payoff calculations, lien filings, assisting the Financial Services Manager/Treasury with secondary disclosures, debt financing/refinancing analysis, bond call financial analysis, generation of tax levy information, cash flow analysis associated with debt service, calculation of credit distributions, assists in the processing of delinquencies and foreclosures, and reconciliation of bond trustee statements.
• Assists in budget preparation and administration including expenditure and revenue calculations and projections; historical comparisons and trend analysis; employee benefit costing; personnel tracking; preparation of spreadsheets, tables, charts and graphical presentations; balancing budgetary spreadsheets to financial records; answering public inquiries; assisting departments in preparing and monitoring their budgets; calculation and monitoring of budget amendments; and budget variance analysis. Typical Duties THE IDEAL CANDIDATE Will possess knowledge of:
• Current accepted accounting principles and procedures.
• Governmental accounting is desirable.
• Budgeting is desirable.
• Advanced electronic spreadsheet preparation is highly desirable. Will have the skills and abilities to:
• Analyze and reconcile accounting data.
• Understand the general ledger accounting structure.
• Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Any combination of education and experience that would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the essential duties of the job. A typical way to accomplish this includes: Possession of an Associates Degree in Business, Accounting or closely related field and two years responsible experience in accounting financial systems, in either the public or private sector, is required.
Closing Date/Time: Fri. 09/25/20 5:00 PM Pacific Time