Job No. 528084 Accountant I (528084)
CLASSIFICATION TITLE: ACCOUNTANT I
UNION CODE: R09
PAY PLAN: 12-month
WORKPLACE TYPE: Telecommute eligible (work onsite as scheduled and/or as requested and telecommute as scheduled).
ANTICIPATED HIRING RANGE: $4,300 - $5,000
- However, offer amount will be commensurate with candidate's experience, education, skills, and training.
CSU CLASSIFICATION SALARY RANGE: $4,039 - $7,568
PAY BASIS: Monthly
BENEFITS: CSUB offers a best-in-class benefit package for eligible employees that includes an array of medical plans, choice of dental plans, vision coverage, retirement participation in CalPERS, CSU tuition waiver, up to 24 vacation days per year, sick leave with unlimited accrual, 14 paid holidays per year and more! See our benefits website for additional information.
CANDIDATES ELIGIBLE TO APPLY: Open to all qualified applicants.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANT:
FOR PRIORITY CONSIDERATION, applications must be received by June 4, 2023 ; however, the position will remain open until filled.
POSITION PURPOSE: Under the general supervision of the Director of Accounting and Reporting Services - Campus, the Accountant I, assists with the day-to-day accounting, budget analysis, and financial reporting activities of Accounting and Reporting Services - Campus. The position performs entry to intermediate-level professional accounting work involving the application of accounting principles and practices to the resolution of a variety of accounting functions or problems. Work assignments require a general knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB), and Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) standards. This includes completing account reconciliations, preparation of journal entries, inter-fund accounting, solving moderate accounting issues, and financial analysis related to campus operations.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Following well established policies, procedures, and general accounting standards, perform, review, and analyze a broad range of accounting and financial activities in order to ensure compliance with various policies, timely recordkeeping, and appropriate accounting treatment.
- Provide service to customers by answering questions, providing information, making referrals, and assuring appropriate follow-through and/or resolution.
- Process various monthly chargeback journals and ensure inter-company transactions are properly recorded.
- Analyze and reconcile Runnercard transactions to other sub-systems such as Transact. Prepare monthly revenue allocations for Runnercard.
- Retrieve supporting documents needed for capitalizing all non-capital assets in the fixed asset management system.
- Recommend and prepare adjustments, journal entries, reports, and expenditure transfers.
- Post journal entries, including those prepared by other accounting staff.
- Provide initial troubleshooting of financial systems problems (i.e. CFS, Transact, Delegation of Authority) and participate in the design and installation of financial system upgrades and required testing and verification of results.
- Provide general information to campus staff regarding accounting forms and procedures as requested. Assist in answering general questions and refer more complex questions to the appropriate accounting staff member as needed.
- Maintain accurate financial records.
- Assist in the coordination, development and/or production of various reports to meet customer (i.e. Trustee, Board of Directors, Chancellor's Office, Cabinet, management/dean, donor, internal and external auditors, and other internal/external constituent) needs and legal and regulatory requirements, ensuring timeliness, accuracy and compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Adhere to legal, regulatory, and/or policy requirements, ensuring timely and accurate reporting.
- Under the direction of an experienced Accountant, assist with preparing various GAAP workpapers, supporting schedules, and footnotes need to complete GAAP financial statements.
- Study, develop, and standardize procedures and policies to improve efficiency and ensure sound financial practices.
- Provide service to customers by answering questions, providing information, making referrals, and assuring low-through and/or resolution.
Tax Related Duties
- Assist with the preparation of non-resident filing and Information reporting on Federal Form 1042 and State forms 592 and 592B for Campus.
- Gather information to assist in the compilation and review data for the annual UBIT return, quarterly sales, and use tax returns.
- Other tax related duties (i.e. research, policy revision, etc.) as assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE - Equivalent to a bachelor's degree with a major in accounting, business administration, finance or a closely related field OR a combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES (SKA's) -
- Regular and reliable attendance is required.
- General knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP); office methods and procedures; and statistical and mathematical presentation of data.
- Advanced proficiency with query tools, integrated financial systems and/or other types of records management systems.
- General understanding of internal control methods.
- Working knowledge of financial statement process and Board reporting processes.
- Ability to interpret and follow instructions and policy guidelines.
- Ability to analyze financial and statistical data and draw conclusions.
- Ability to utilize problem solving techniques and convey technical information to non-Accountants.
- Demonstrated customer service experience requiring a very high level of diplomacy and professionalism.
- Ability to use tact and diplomacy to effectively handle a broad range of high level and sensitive interpersonal situations with diverse personalities, and to respond appropriately to conflicts and problems.
- Ability to initiate, establish, and foster communication and teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work atmosphere in the University with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse population and with those from various cultural backgrounds.
- Excellent communication skills; ability to effectively communicate information in a clear and understandable manner, both verbally and in writing.
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Ability to interpret, communicate and apply policies and procedures.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to set own priorities to coordinate multiple assignments with fluctuating and time-sensitive deadlines.
- Excellent computer skills and competence with a variety of computer applications including word-processing, spreadsheets, databases, on-line systems, Internet as well as online calendaring and email.
- Working knowledge of or ability to quickly learn University infrastructure.
- Must be willing to travel and attend training programs off-site for occasional professional development.
- Must be able to work overtime, occasional holidays, and adjust working hours to meet special jobs. May be called back periodically to perform work as needed on an emergency basis.
- One (1) to two (2) years of accounting related experience in a higher education setting.
- Demonstrated skills in an institutional/educational environment utilizing a customer-oriented and service-centered attitude.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: SEDENTARY WORK - involves mainly sitting; minimal walking and standing; lifting light weight objects limited to 15 pounds.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS: N/A
SCREENING: Only those applicants possessing experience most directly related to the immediate needs of the office will be invited to appear before a Qualifications Appraisal Board for the purpose of appraising training, experience, and interest in the position.
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY EMPLOYEES UNION: It shall be the policy of the CSU in filling vacant CSUEU bargaining Units 2, 5, 7 & 9 positions to fill such vacancies from among qualified individuals currently employed on-campus except when it is determined that it is necessary to appoint outside applicants to meet campus workforce diversity goals or to provide specialized skills and abilities that are not available from current employees.
BACKGROUND CHECK: Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
SENSITIVE POSITION: Sensitive positions are designated by the CSU as requiring heightened scrutiny of individuals holding the position, based on potential for harm to children, concerns for the safety and security of the people, animals, or property, or heightened risk of financial loss to the CSU or individuals in the university community.
MANDATED REPORTER: Not Mandated
GENERAL INFORMATION: It is the policy of California State University, Bakersfield to hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to present documentation verifying their right to accept employment. You will also be requested to present a social security card at the time of initial appointment in compliance with state payroll regulations. State regulations require that every state employee sign the Oath of Allegiance prior to commencing the duties of his/her State employment, except legally employed non-citizens. These individuals are required to sign the Declaration of Permission to Work.
EEO STATEMENT: California State University, Bakersfield is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will be considered without regard to gender, race, age, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability or covered veteran status.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled