DIRECTOR OF FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING AND REPORTING (Administrator II) (VA1369)
Recruitment Number VA1369
Posting Period 02/12/21 - 03/05/21
On Campus Only No
Working Title DIRECTOR OF FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING AND REPORTING (Administrator II)
Class Title ADMINISTRATOR II
Salary Range (From $ to $) Salary commensurate with background and experience of the individual selected. (Anticipated hiring salary not to exceed: $90,000 per year).
Department Financial Reporting
Number of Positions 1
FLSA Code Exempt
Status At Will
Pay Plan 12/12
CBU/MOU M80 - Management Personnel Plan
Quick Link https://jobs.csuchico.edu/postings/6304
Hours Per Day 8 hours during the school year / 10 hours during the summer
Days Per Week 5 days during the school year / 4 days during the summer
Under the general direction of the Associate Vice President of Financial Services, the Director provides professional and functional leadership and expertise in the University's financial assessment and reporting processes. The Director is responsible for oversight and supervision of the office of Financial Accounting and Reporting (FAR). This position analyzes, interprets, compiles and integrates complex financial information from various university entities, prepares periodic internal and external reports ensuring that financial information is recorded accurately and appropriately. Applying professional level of judgment, this position acts as a key technical advisor to management on the processing and reporting of financial information.
For a full description of job duties, please visit: https://csuchico.box.com/v/VA1369-Position-Description
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Thorough knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and practices. Ability to learn and apply laws, rules, and procedures related to governmental accounting.
• Strong knowledge of segregation of duties, internal controls and financial reporting, required.
• Thorough experience in the use of Excel, Word, Outlook, Peoplesoft Common Financial System and Asset Management System.
• Excellent leadership, collaborative and communication skills with a commitment to quality service.
Incumbent must have the ability to:
• Efficiently supervise the organization, compilation and preparation of GAAP financial statements and supporting work papers.
• Train and evaluate the productivity and performance of employees.
• Manage a team with the ability to motivate, delegate and empower staff.
• Maintain effective working relationships with administration, faculty, staff, students and all parties doing business with the department.
• Adjust to changing work and technological environment.
• Analyze financial and statistical data and draw sound conclusions utilizing problem-solving techniques.
• Interpret and follow instructions and policy guidelines.
• Communicate in a professional and effective manner in both written and oral forms.
Required Education and/or Experience
A Bachelor's degree in accounting or a related field.
Five years' experience in an accounting position where substantial judgment, analysis, interpretation, integration of complex data and information was required, including:
• Professional experience in public accounting/auditing using automated accounting systems.
• Complex spreadsheets.
• Graphic display of information, database and database query tools.
Preference may be given to applicants with the following as they may be considered specialized skills:
• Master's Degree in Accounting or CPA License.
• Technical fluency with Oracle/PeopleSoft, CSU Common Financial System or equivalent Enterprise Financial Information Systems.
• Supervisory and leadership experience strongly preferred.
• Work experience in an academic setting, ideally public higher education.
• Knowledge of GAAP, financial compliance, processes, and procedures.
• SQL writing knowledge.
• California State University, Chico, in accordance with CSU policy, requires that the successful candidate complete a background check (including a criminal records check, sexual offender registry check, and/or fingerprinting) prior to assuming this position. Failure to satisfactorily complete or pass the background check may impact the job offer or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for posted positions identified as sensitive. This position is considered a sensitive position based on CSU guidelines. Incumbent is responsible for the safety and security of Level 1 data, sometimes also referred to as Level 1 protected data. This is confidential information that is in most cases protected by statutes, regulations, or other legal mandates.
• The person holding this position is considered a "Limited Mandated Reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 (revised July 21, 2017) as a condition of employment.
• This position is a Higher Education Employer-Employee Relations Act (HEERA) designated managerial position and comes under the Management Personnel Plan (MPP) of the California State University. Individuals appointed to management positions serve at the pleasure of the President or designee. They are excluded from the collective bargaining process, are not subject to probationary service, and do not receive tenure or permanent status. This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
• The duties of this position will include participation in a decision that may have a material/financial benefit to the incumbent. Therefore, this is a "designated position" under the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code and the incumbent will be required to file a Form 700: Statement of Economic Interest and is subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission. (Group/Category: Procurement CardHolder, 2) Note this designation is applicable only if Procurement Card is issued.
Incumbent/applicant will need to be able to perform the essential job functions (duties) of this position with or without reasonable accommodation. Required to work in a busy office environment; required to sit, move, or stand for office functions; includes the need to work at a computer workstation for long periods of time for completion of tasks; may walk/travel across campus to other offices or buildings on and off campus. Some travel to other campuses, Chancellor's Office for training opportunities or meetings.
Work is performed in a typical office environment operating standard office equipment. Position requires long periods of analysis of financial data at computer workstation within a busy office. Position also involves extensive interaction with other staff, managers, Chancellor's office personnel, and external auditors. Occasional travel may be involved for meetings.
This position qualifies for benefits including tuition fee waiver (if eligible).
CSU, Chico offers a number of benefits to its employees (e.g., sick leave, vacation, health insurance). Eligibility for standard CSU benefits is based on an appointment of half-time or more for a period exceeding six months. Employees appointed less than half-time or less than six months are not eligible for standard CSU benefits but do receive prorated sick leave and vacation.
Eligibility for Affordable Care Act (ACA) benefits is based on an appointment of at least three-quarter time, hired to work a minimum of 130 hours per month over the course of the appointment or works an average of 130 hours or more per month during the measurement period. The ACA guidelines provide for health coverage or FlexCash only. ACA does not provide dental or vision plan coverage.
About the University and Community
Detailed information is available at https://www.csuchico.edu/about/. As a university that educates students of various ethnic and cultural backgrounds, we value a diverse faculty and staff. CSU, Chico welcomes applicants who are knowledgeable about and interested in working within a cross-cultural learning environment. We also welcome those who share a passion and commitment to the University's 6th Strategic Priority that focuses on sustainability, stewardship, and the environment - see http://www.csuchico.edu/sustainability/index.shtml.
California State University, Chico is committed to achieving excellence through diversity in the classroom and the workplace. It strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students, faculty, and staff.
The university is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status.
Open Date (posting open date) 02/12/2021
Close Date (posting close date) 03/05/2021
Open Until Filled No
2. Cover Letter
1. Optional Applicant Documents
Closing Date/Time: March 5, 2021