Director of Accounting and Compliance (Hybrid)
Director of Accounting and Compliance (Hybrid)
Wall Township, NJ, USA Req #2032
Energize your future and join our team as we pursue a reliable, sustainable, cleaner energy future. At our Fortune 1000 diversified energy company, you'll find a friendly, community-minded environment, with flexible work schedules, opportunities for growth and development, and competitive pay and benefits.
New Jersey Resources is seeking a Director of Accounting and Compliance responsible for oversight of the accounting and accounting related activities for the Company's Non-regulated Operations. This principally comprises the business activities of NJR Energy Services, NJR Clean Energy Ventures, and NJR Home/Plumbing Services. The position is also responsible for the oversight of payroll administration for NJR and the accounting for income taxes through an outsourced Corporate Tax Services arrangement with an independent third party provider.
Major Responsibilities / Essential Functions
• Supervise the activities of the accounting support staff for the non-regulated entities
• Manage the general ledger closing cycle for all non-regulated entities
• Review journal entries and account reconciliations in support of the closing process as needed
• Review and prepare quarterly and annual information for inclusion in press release, 10-Q and 10-K
• Conduct accounting research to support new business ventures, new accounting pronouncements as needed
• Assist Financial Planning and Analysis in the preparation of annual budgets and monthly forecasts as needed
• Assist in developing accounting policies/positions in support of the Company's commodity transactions
• Evaluate new contracts to ensure compliance with relevant accounting standards
• Oversee corporate tax function and the outsourced tax services relationship
• Ensure compliance with statutory filing requirements for direct and indirect tax activities at the federal as well as state and local levels
• Monitor, analyze, document and inform on existing and emerging topics for effective GAAP and statutory tax reporting
• Ensure accurate and timely delivery of payroll payments, reporting and compliance activities
• Provides direction and leadership on all matters regarding the organization's payroll activities, including strategic and tactical planning
• Manage and direct a team to handle all payroll requests and questions with a high degree of quality and customer service
• Maintain internal control/Sarbanes-Oxley compliance documentation
• Responsible for review and presentation of financial statement disclosures review of non-regulated and tax disclosures in consolidated financial statement
• Provide support to external audit for quarterly and annual requests for non-regulated, accounting, tax, and payroll activities; provide external reporting team with variance analysis and explanations for MD&A as necessary
• Recruit, supervise, develop and mentor staff
• Develop and manage effective business unit relationships across various workstreams
• Bachelor's degree in accounting required, Master's degree is a plus; CPA is preferred
• Minimum of 7 years' experience in various roles of increasing responsibility and day-to-day accounting activities and managing employees across various workstreams
• Power and Utility and/or Energy industry experience is a plus
• Strong knowledge of GAAP, SEC and other regulatory accounting/reporting requirements and application, as well as an in-depth understanding of the accounting standard setting process
• Independent thinker with a proactive mindset
• A strategic thinker with strong analytical and project planning skills and ability to research theoretical concepts, conclude on impacts, and implement solution frameworks for regulatory mandates, new transactions and to align to business growth
• Strong communication (both verbal and written) and interpersonal skills to be able to convey technical information to diverse groups, including senior management, audit committee, business and accounting managers, and auditors in a concise manner
• Ability to drive team accountabilities through goal setting and employee mentoring
*This job description is reflective of the primary duties of this position and in no way limits the supervisor from assigning any other duties, responsibilities or initiatives as deemed necessary.
Position is hybrid, 3 days onsite in Wall, NJ office, 2 days remote.
New Jersey Resources is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran, or other protected status.