Business Systems Analyst (Assistant Accounting Systems Analyst)
DEPARTMENT OF AUDITOR-CONTROLLER
We are accepting applications from Thursday, May 11, 2023, at 8:00 AM (PT) to
Thursday, May 25, 2023, at 5:00 PM (PT)
TYPE OF RECRUITMENT:
Open Competitive Job Opportunity
About Los Angeles County
The County of Los Angeles, Department of Auditor-Controller is recruiting for highly motivated and career-minded individuals to fill the position of Business Systems Analyst (Assistant Accounting Systems Analyst). To view classification standards for the position, please click HERE.
With more than 10 million residents, Los Angeles County is the most populous county in the nation. As the largest employer in Southern California, over 112,000 employees in more than 36 departments provide vital public services as diverse as law enforcement, property assessment, public health protection, water conservation, cultural activities and many more.
We are dedicated professionals committed to preserving the dignity and integrity of the workplace as well as protecting the rights of each employee. With more than 2,300 different job descriptions, the County offers a lifetime of opportunities and careers! We offer one of the strongest public-sector benefits packages in the nation. Join us and discover a rich selection of health care options, robust retirement plans, and the flexibility to work, relax, and rejuvenate in order to reach your fullest personal and professional potential.
Check Out Our Outstanding Benefits! Click here to see a list of employee benefits.
About the Department of Auditor-Controller The Department of Auditor-Controller aims to inspire and elevate public trust in County government by safeguarding the County's financial integrity, advocating and implementing best practices, and ensuring compliance with mandates and fiduciary responsibilities. The Department of Auditor-Controller is responsible for establishing County fiscal and internal control policies and procedures; administering the County payroll; conducting audits and fraud investigations; monitoring social services contracts; performing mandated property tax functions; disbursing warrants to vendors, child support recipients, judgment and damages to claimants; and managing the County's enterprise financial and payroll systems, eCAPS and eHR. Click here to learn more about the Los Angeles County, Department of Auditor-Controller
About the Position:
Positions allocable to this class are located in the Department of Auditor-Controller and assist higher level analysts in performing systems analysis in connection with the development, evaluation, and review of large-scale and complex computerized and non-automated fiscal control systems. Work is performed within a limited framework of responsibilities and under close direct supervision of higher-level analysts.
Essential Job Functions
What you will do as a Business Systems Analyst (Assistant Accounting Systems Analyst):
Analyzes existing accounting operations, fiscal controls, and accounting standards in computerized and non-automated accounting systems by performing various studies and tests, identifying and reporting on potential problems, and assisting in the implementation and conversion project plans for new accounting systems and/or accounting system enhancements.
This task may include performing the following:
- Performing process flow, data analyses, and eDiscovery;
- Testing the functionality of modules, components, internal controls and/or entire accounting systems;
- Performing system and network diagnosis;
- Participating in work group meetings;
- Identifying security requirements and monitoring compliances;
- Developing business intelligence and supporting enterprise reports;
- Developing user interfaces and web applications;
- Identifying patterns in system and/or user errors;
- Drafting various documents; etc.
Participates in feasibility studies of automating systems and business processes serving the Auditor-Controller and other County departments by assisting with comparative analyses and evaluations of hardware, software, network systems, data systems, components, and/or related processes, etc. to evaluate the solution's capability to meet the user, functional, and technical requirements and adhere to departmental, County, State, and Federal policies, procedures, laws and regulations.
Designs various types of accounting and information systems/applications by conducting and/or participating in the design phase; developing design/functional requirements/specifications; and collaborating with project managers, users, technical staff, programmers, and analysts from other sections, departments, or agencies; etc. to produce project timetables, task assignments, and testing criteria (e.g., unit, integration, regression testing, performance testing, production simulation, load, network, test case scenarios, usability), etc.
Tests various types of accounting and information systems/applications by conducting and/or participating in a variety of test cases (e.g., unit, integration, regression, performance, production simulation, load, network, usability); collaborating with project managers, users, technical staff, programmers, and analysts from other sections, departments, or agencies; etc.; and providing results to the various stakeholders to ensure the needs of the users and requirements are met.
Implements new accounting and information systems/applications by collaborating with stakeholders of accounting and information systems; monitoring progress on various assignments related to the project(s); providing supervisors with status updates; etc.
Supports existing accounting and information systems/applications by monitoring the various accounting and information systems, interfaces, processes, and/or components; setting up and configuring hardware and system components for local systems; installing and configuring various software; assessing and reporting on and optimizing system performance; providing various troubleshooting, maintenance (e.g., updates, patches, back-ups), and technical support; analyzing data using Microsoft Excel, SQL tools, statistical software, eDiscovery, etc.; providing on-call support for batch processing and help-desk support; and developing and maintaining issue logs and following up with resolutions.
Prepares a variety of documents (e.g., concept papers, work papers, schedules, statistical summaries, and formal reports, feasibility study documentation, systems definitions, systems designs, training materials, service/change requests).
Acts as a liaison between various stakeholders of accounting and information systems (e.g., project managers; users; technical staff; programmers; analysts from other sections, departments, or agencies; vendors) by serving as the point of contact with respect to accounting and information system-related projects, functions, and issues; and conveying, facilitating, and interpreting information (e.g., recommendations, consultation, specifications, requirements, mandates, etc.) between various stakeholders.
Provides orientation and/or training to various stakeholders (e.g., end-users, technical staff, and management) on the functions, procedures, and processes of various accounting and information systems/applications (e.g., off-the-shelf, and/or proprietary) in order to provide individuals with the necessary information to operate, maintain, and/or support various accounting and information systems.
A b achelor's degree or higher from an accredited* college or university WITH :
- 21 semester or 32 quarter units of information systems classes** ; OR
- A combination of information systems and accounting classes totaling 21
semester or 32 quarter units, of which at least 18 semester units or 24 quarter units are information systems classes.
NOTE: You may also apply if you will meet the Selection Requirements within 9 months of the date your application is filed. Please see the withhold information below.
Applicants who will meet the Selection Requirements within 9 months of filing their application may also apply for this exam and will be invited to take the structured interview (please refer to the "Our Assessment Process" section). Such candidates who achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the structured interview will be placed on "withhold" status until proof of completion of the Selection Requirements is received and verified by our human resources unit.
Withhold applicants will be added to the hiring list (eligible register) once completion of the Selection Requirements is verified. Please refer to the "Proof of Meeting the Requirements" section of this job posting for more information on the required supporting documentation to receive credit for any degree or completed college courses.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
Education Requirement Information:
* Accreditation: Accredited institutions are those listed in the publications of regional, national or international accrediting agencies which are accepted by the Department of Human Resources. Publications such as American Universities and Colleges and International Handbook of Universities are acceptable references. Also acceptable, if appropriate, are degrees that have been evaluated and deemed to be equivalent to degrees from United States accredited institutions by an academic credential evaluation agency recognized by The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or the Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc. (AICE).
International transcripts require an evaluation report which validates and converts international units, credits, or hours etc. into U.S. semester or quarter units. The evaluation report must be done by an evaluation agency recognized by The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or the Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc .
**In order to verify any type of college degree, and completion of required units of information systems and/or accounting courses, you MUST provide supporting documentation p rior to consideration of appointment as stated in the Application and Filing Information section of this bulletin.
PROOF OF MEETING THE REQUIREMENTS:
- Scanned legible copy of the official transcript(s) showing proof of completion of the required information systems and accounting units and b a chelor's degree as stated in the Selection Requirements section of the job posting.
- For applicants with international transcripts, an evaluation report completed by an evaluation agency recognized by The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or the Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc . The evaluation report must provide information on the equivalent U.S. degree and credits/units.
- If you are unable to attach the supporting documents, you may email them to ACRrecruitment@auditor.lacounty.gov. Please include your name, exam number, and exam title on all emailed documents.
- Correspondence may be sent via email. Please ensure that the email address you provide on your application is current and correct.
- Test Invitation Letters and other correspondence will be sent electronically to the e-mail address provided on the application. It is important that applicants provide a valid e-mail address. Please update your spam filters to ensure that the following email addresses are added to your address book and/or list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as spam/junk mail:
Applicants have the ability to opt out of emails from LA County. If you unsubscribe, you will not receive any email notification for any examination for which you apply with Los Angeles County. Whether you choose to unsubscribe, you can always check for notifications by logging into governmentjobs.com and viewing your profile inbox, which saves a copy of all emailed notices. It is the applicant's responsibility to take the above steps to view correspondence. Los Angeles County will not consider claims of not viewing or receiving notifications to be a valid reason for a late test administration or re-scheduling
Notice of Non-Acceptance and Final Result letters will be sent electronically to your e-mail address.
Test scores cannot be given over the telephone.
A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to use an alternative method of transportation when needed to perform the job.
Physical Expectations:Physical Class II - Light: This class includes administrative and clerical positions requiring light physical effort that may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit and some bending, stooping, or squatting. Considerable ambulation may be involved.
Desirable Qualifications :
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Science or Business Administration with emphasis in Computer Information Systems.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills and problem-solving skills.
- Understanding of software development lifecycle.
- Knowledge of Information Technology concepts and principles.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite and ability to use and learn new computer software.
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting.
Our Assessment Process:
Once we have determined that you meet the requirements, we will invite you to take a structured interview , weighted 100%,assessing:
- Systems Analysis & Evaluation
- Technology Application
- Customer Service
- Decision Making
- Oral Communication
- Interpersonal/Relationship Building Skills
- Stress Tolerance
- Applicants must currently meet or will meet the selection requirements within 9 months of filing their application and achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the examination in order to be placed on the hiring list (eligible register) for consideration of employment.
- STRUCTURED INTERVIEW MATERIALS ARE NOT REVIEWABLE BY CANDIDATES PER CIVIL SERVICE RULE 7.19.
TEST PREPARATION:Study guides and other test preparation resources are available to help candidates prepare for employment tests. While the guides will help you prepare for the test, we advise you to review all related materials that you deem necessary.
- Online Interview Preparation may be accessed on the Department of Human Resources website at http://hr.lacounty.gov/. Please click on "Find A Job" and then "Job Search Toolkit." Interview preparation information is located under the "Interview Guide" section.
- For interview Tips, please visit the Department of Human Resources website at http://hr.lacounty.gov/. Please click on "Find A Job" and then "Interview Tips."
Application and Filing Information
Applications must be filed online only. We must receive your application before the close of the application filing period. Applications submitted by U.S. mail, fax, or in person will not be accepted.
Apply online by clicking on the "Apply" tab above for this posting during the filing period.
The information you provide on the supplemental questionnaire will be evaluated and used to determine your eligibility to participate in the examination process. Your responses are subject to verification. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or dismissal.
Prior to consideration of appointment, you MUST provide the documentation listed in the "Proof of Meeting The Requirements" section of the job bulletin in order to receive credit for any degree or completed college courses. Please note, all submitted documentation is subject to verification:
Important Note: Applications may be rejected at any stage of the selection process. All information included in the application materials is subject to verification at any point during the examination and hiring process, including after an appointment has been made. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment.
The names of candidates receiving a passing score in the examination will be placed on the eligible register in the order of their score group for a period of six (6) months following the date of promulgation.
The resulting eligible register will be used to fill vacancies within the Department of Auditor-Controller.
SPECIAL INFORMATION :
ANTI-RACISM, DIVERSITY, and INCLUSION (ARDI)The County of Los Angeles recognizes and affirms that all people are created equal and are entitled to all rights afforded by the Constitution of the United States. The Department of Human Resources is committed to promoting Anti-racism, Diversity, and Inclusion efforts to address the inequalities and disparities amongst race. We support the ARDI Strategic Plan and its goals by improving equality, diversity, and inclusion in recruitment, selection, and employment practices.
FAIR CHANCE INITIATIVEThe County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment . The County will make an individual assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed.
TESTING ACCOMMODATION:If you require an accommodation to fairly compete in any part of the assessment process, let us know by contacting the Testing Accommodation Coordinator at ACRecruitment@auditor.lacounty.gov. You will be required to complete the Request for Reasonable Accommodation form as well as supporting documentation from a qualified professional justifying the requested accommodation(s). The sooner you contact us, the sooner we can respond to your request and keep you moving through the process.
Social Security Number: Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number.
No sharing of User ID and Password: All applicants must file their application online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member's or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.
Computer and Internet Access at Public Libraries: For applicants who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.
Do you have any questions?
Department Contact Name: Neha Qamar
Department Contact Phone: (213) 974-1278
Department Contact Email: ACRrecruitment@auditor.lacounty.gov
ADA Coordinator Email: ACRrecruitment@auditor.lacounty.gov
Teletype Phone: (800) 899-4099
Alternate Teletype Phone: (800) 897-0077
California Relay Services Phone: (800) 735-2922
Closing Date/Time: 5/25/2023 5:00 PM Pacific