Accounting Technician III (Payroll Unit)
The Seattle Police Department Payroll Unit is recruiting for an Accounting Technician III. The position is engaged in the maintenance and preparation of payroll records and files. Performs all payroll records maintenance operations and procedures pertaining to complex set of accounts or payroll records for 2000 employees of the Seattle Police Department. This Accounting Technician III reports to the Payroll Supervisor at the Seattle Police Department.
This lead position must exhibit independence of action, exercise sound judgment, and can engage in the complexity and financial impact of this work. This position has department and City-wide visibility and requires a working knowledge of City and departmental manuals, guidelines, procedures, contracts, and ordinances relating to payroll records maintenance. Assignments require exercising judgment in leading subordinates, performing complex payroll records maintenance activities, and recommending work methods and processes. Work is performed independently except in unusual or non-routine instances. Personal contacts are with departmental employees, other departments, other agencies, vendors, and the public for the purposes of coordinating work, resolving problems, negotiating and/or providing information. Performs complex duties associated with the reconciliation, balancing or processing of vouchers, ledgers, journals, reports, or statements.
- Leads in preparation of payroll records and documents.
- Leads in preparation/reconciliation of Department of Retirement Systems for LEOFF officers.
- Serves as lead worker over subordinate staff to coordinate assignments, resolve problems, monitor work, provide instruction on tasks, and ensure proper work methods.
- Coordinates, prepares, and reviews reports, transaction statements, or other documents.
- Assists in the implementation of new payroll procedures and methods.
- Coordinates and leads in the maintenance of control records, files, and accounts.
- Assists with Year End items.
- Prepares special reports, summaries, and statements.
- Assists with other Accounting Tech III tasks and/or special assignments as needed.
- Leads and handles overpayments and overpayment process.
Required Qualifications :
Requires three years of accounting and/or bookkeeping experience (or a combination of education/experience/training which provides an equivalent background required to perform the work of the class).
Desired Qualifications :
Associate degree in accounting. Knowledge of HRIS/EV5, Workday, or other HR/Payroll systems, Summit Financial Management, Microsoft apps (Excel, Access, Word), Department of Retirement Systems (LEOFF), and/or other retirement programs. The ability to learn contract language. Good customer service. Ability to change tasks and priorities, fluid in workflow processes.
- Must pass a Seattle Police Department background investigation.
- This position is a hybrid position; the City requires the position be in person 2 days a week. Individual schedules will be based on agreement between the employee and their supervisor.
About the Department:
The Seattle Police Department is comprised of approximately 1,600 dedicated law enforcement professionals all committed to creating and fostering a work environment that is collaborative, innovative, and leading the way in law enforcement principles and practices. Ours is a culture that encourages top performers to adhere to a standard of excellence in the identification of and resolution to complex challenges. At SPD we acknowledge and honor the fundamental value and dignity of all individuals and pledge ourselves to creating and maintaining an environment that respects diverse traditions, heritages, and experiences.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents. More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans .
The full salary range for this position is $30.72 - $34.47 per hour.
New employees begin at Step 1 of the pay progression, which is $30.72 hourly. Current City employees' starting rate of pay will be based on Personnel Rules regarding promotions. This is a full-time (1.0 FTE) regular position with full benefits. This is a Civil Service position eligible for overtime.
How to Apply:
Apply online at www.seattle.gov/jobs . Please refer to: Job Number: 2023-01622. If you have any questions, please contact Dene Warren Sakamoto at firstname.lastname@example.org .
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov
Closing Date/Time: 9/12/2023 4:00 PM Pacific