Accounting Technician II-BU (Payroll)
The Seattle Police Department Payroll Unit is recruiting for an Accounting Technician II. The position is engaged in the maintenance and preparation of payroll records and files. Performs all payroll records maintenance operations and procedures pertaining to complex set of accounts or payroll records for 1600 employees of the Seattle Police Department. This Accounting Technician II reports to the Payroll Supervisor at the Seattle Police Department.
- Prepares payroll documents and updates files to ensure proper and accurate employee, salary, and deduction information .
- Performs duties associated with the reconciliation, balancing or processing of payroll adjustments and records.
- Assist employees with timesheet and Employee Self Service usage.
- Prepares and reviews reports, forms, transactions statements, or other documents.
- Compile information and data required for the preparation of payroll reports.
- Interprets City Personnel Rules and Collective Bargaining Agreements to employees and their chain of command.
- Research and processes payroll adjustments in appropriate City systems.
- Maintain, process, audit, and monitor employee leave balance accumulators.
- Responsible for payroll and Human Resource processes for new hires, separations, and transfers.
- Handle overpayment processes, paperwork, and adjustments.
- Manual Salary Warrant Requests preparation and submission to City Payroll.
- Performs multiple regular payroll audits using the Human Resource Information Systems (HRIS) Access Query database (to be WorkDay after 2024 implementation).
- Communicate effectively (in person, through email and by phone) with employees, other departments, and external agency representatives.
- Answer and respond to employee questions via phone, in person, and email.
- Keep sensitive materials and information confidential.
- Any other payroll duties and/or special projects assigned by Payroll Supervisor.
Requires two years accounting/bookkeeping experience or one-year experience as an Accounting Technician I, or a combination of education/training /experience, which provides equivalent background to perform the functions of the job.
- Associate degree in accounting.
- Knowledge of the City's PeopleSoft 9.2 Financial Management System or a similar financial system as well as the City's policies and procedures regarding purchasing and accounts payable.
- Experience with the City's EV5 system and Human Resource Information System (HRIS) Web Reports.
- Ability to prioritize and organize assignments and accomplish multiple tasks with strict deadlines while maintaining excellent customer service.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Access.
- Strong auditing skills.
- Must pass a Seattle Police Department background investigation.
- This position is a hybrid position; the City requires the position be in person 2 days a week. Individual schedules will be based on agreement between the employee and their supervisor.
About the Department:
The Seattle Police Department is comprised of approximately 1,600 dedicated law enforcement professionals all committed to creating and fostering a work environment that is collaborative, innovative, and leading the way in law enforcement principles and practices. Ours is a culture that encourages top performers to adhere to a standard of excellence in the identification of and resolution to complex challenges. At SPD we acknowledge and honor the fundamental value and dignity of all individuals and pledge ourselves to creating and maintaining an environment that respects diverse traditions, heritages, and experiences.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents. More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans .
The full salary range for this position is $28.00 - $31.35 per hour.
New employees begin at Step 1 of the pay progression, which is $28.00 hourly. Current City employees' starting rate of pay will be based on Personnel Rules regarding promotions. This is a full-time (1.0 FTE) regular position with full benefits. This is a Civil Service position eligible for overtime.
How to Apply:
Apply online at www.seattle.gov/jobs . Please refer to: Job Number: 2023-02021. If you have any questions, please contact Melissa Tunkara at firstname.lastname@example.org .
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov
Closing Date/Time: 11/21/2023 4:00 PM Pacific