Accounting Technician II-BU
Seattle Public Utilities' (SPU) People, Culture & Community Branch has a position opening for an Accounting Technician II within Customer Accounts & Billing Services. This position will make adjustments to customer bills and billing exceptions using an online billing system. The successful candidate will provide exceptional work ethic, a team-oriented mindset, and the ability to work with a diverse staff in a dynamic environment.
About Seattle Public Utilities:
Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) is a community-centered utility that delivers vital services to Seattle residents and businesses including drinking water, drainage and wastewater, and garbage/recycling/compost. SPU also provides drinking water for 1.5 million customers in the region. SPU's work includes system maintenance and improvements and keeping Seattle clean. Over 1,400 SPU employees work with our community to provide affordable and equitable stewardship of our water and waste resources for future generations.
For more information about Seattle Public Utilities (SPU), check out the:
- SPU Website
- SPU Workplace Expectations
- Strategic Business Plan
SPU commits to Our City Values and Race and Social Justice as core principles that guide our work. We actively take steps to dismantle systemic racism and increase service equity. We value diverse life experiences and strive to create a workplace that is welcoming to all. We take steps to be inclusive and equitable in our recruiting, hiring and promotional opportunities.
Why join our team?
We know work isn't only about what you do, it's also about who you work for and with! SPU provides a fun and family-friendly work environment that supports a work life balance, including:
- Family-friendly and multicultural work environment
- Generous benefits package
- Free Orca Pass
- City pension plan with employer/employee contributions
- Growth potential and advancement opportunities
- Review and correct combined utility account meter reading and billing exceptions using an online billing system.
- Review customer usage history; calculate water, wastewater, and solid waste charges.
- Process adjustments to previous consumption and charges.
- Research account/ property history using computer records.
- Request meter test, replacement, or repair.
- Prorate charges over season and global rate changes.
Please note this job advertisement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Two years billing/accounting/bookkeeping experience or one year experience as an Accounting Technician I.
- Combinations of appropriate education, training, certification, and experience will be evaluated on an individual basis for comparability to the minimum education and experience requirements.
The Ideal Candidate Profile
- Perform intermediate-level mathematical calculations (e.g., proration of rates across seasonal/global rate changes).
- Make independent judgments; good oral and written communication skills; must be flexible and reliable.
- Work independently as well as part of a team within an organization committed to service excellence.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel.
Workplace Environment (Telework Expectation):
- This position allows for the flexibility of a hybrid work schedule. Employees will be required to come into the office twice per week. Individual schedules will be agreed upon by the employee and their supervisor.
Who may apply:
- The City of Seattle encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experience. This position is open to all qualified candidates that meet the minimum qualifications. The City of Seattle values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Recruiter Contact: For more information regarding this recruitment, please contact: Danielle Sheridan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Background Check for the selected candidate:
- This hiring process involves a background check of conviction and arrest records in compliance with Seattle's Fair Chance Employment Ordinance, SMC 14.17. Applicants will be provided with an opportunity to explain or correct background information.
The full salary range for this position is $28.00 - $31.35 hourly.
- The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents .
- More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans
- A full City of Seattle online application
- Resume and Cover letter addressing your knowledge and experience related to this position.
Learn more about Seattle Public Utilities at www.seattle.gov/util/ and check us out on social media.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov
Closing Date/Time: 10/3/2023 4:00 PM Pacific