Accounting Technician – Accounts Payable (528652)
Salary and Benefits
PLEASE NOTE: The starting salary placement depends on qualifications and experience and is anticipated to be in the range of $3,800.00 per month to $4,200.00 per month.
Cal State East Bay offers a broad range of benefits that includes medical, dental, vision, retirement (CalPERS), 401k, 457, 403(b), dependent and health care reimbursement accounts, life insurance, vacation and sick leave, 14 paid holidays, one personal holiday and tuition fee waiver.
For more information on the benefits program, please visit our benefits website. The CSU Total Compensation Calculator demonstrates the significance of our benefits package.
This position may be eligible to participate in the Cal State East Bay hybrid telecommute program subject to management approval.
Accounting Technician II
About Cal State East Bay
Cal State East Bay's beautiful main campus is located in the Hayward hills with panoramic views of the San Francisco Bay shoreline. Situated above the city of Hayward, the campus offers an ideal setting for teaching and learning and yet easy access to the many cities along the bay. The University has a satellite campus in Concord, a professional development center in Oakland and a significant presence online. Founded in 1957, Cal State East Bay is one of 23 universities of the California State University system (CSU). Cal State East Bay is recognized as a regionally engaged and globally oriented university with a strong commitment to academic innovation, student success, engaged and service learning, diversity, and sustainability.
About the Position
The Finance area consists of General Accounting, Accounts Payable, Student Financial & Cashier Services, Bay Card/University Club Services, Accounts Receivable, Finance Support, Budget and Procurement & Support Services. These departments report to four managers, the Director of University Budget Services, the Director of Fiscal Services, Student Financial Services & Cashiers Director and the Director of Procurement Services. These managers report to the Associate Vice President of Finance. The incumbent will be an Accounting Technician II within Cal State East Bay's Accounts Payable unit.
This position is under the supervision of the Accounts Payable Manager and is primarily in the Accounts Payable unit. However, duties may also include support within other areas within Fiscal Services. The Accounting Tech II position is responsible for processing invoices for all AP payments, along with auditing travel reimbursements in current system. The incumbent will handle various trainings as it applies to travel, and hospitality policies and procedures. Duties will also include the maintenance of AP records. This position also handles the 1099 Misc reporting, and issues the 592B's for NRA's, and provides reporting to the payroll office for 1042 reporting.
Process Travel Reimbursements in Certify and Travel Advances as Requested:
- Must be familiar and keep updated with current travel and hospitality policies.
- Audit and process all reimbursements for State compliance within the Certify travel management software.
- Process manual Travel Advances only as needed.
- Utilize Certify reports to analyze types of various spending and category codes.
Maintain the Travel Management System-Certify:
- Perform a number of ongoing systems administration activities for the University's travel software program.
- Ensure unused tickets are applied and funds used.
- Add Supplier ID to Certify.
- Update Fund Approver by submitting a ticket to ITS Service desk.
- Any other system configuration changes as needed.
- Deleting procurement (P Card) expenses that have matched to a Traveler's wallet.
- Unsettled claim user follow-up and education.
- Provide functional support to end user, serving as the prime contact.
Process PO Invoices and Direct Payments:
- Audit Direct Invoices (STLS) and PO Invoices for accuracy, chartfield compliance, approvals, matching parameters, and sales/use tax, etc.
- Data Entry of all AP Invoices.
- Be able to process invoices using electronic modalities such as Adobe Sign Workflow.
- Review and clean-up of match exception report and follow through until payment occurs.
Tracking and Clearing of Outstanding Travel Advances:
- Review any pending advances monthly and resolve outstanding advances.
- Send out monthly notices for any outstanding advances.
Process annual 1099 Misc forms and 592 B's for NRA's:
- Audit and review AP transactions quarterly for accurate reporting.
- Make necessary changes and updates in PeopleSoft.
- Issue annual 1099 Misc forms by deadline date, set by the IRS.
- Issue annual 592B's for NRA's and 1042 reporting review for payroll.
- Assist AP Office with other duties as assigned.
- Be able to help out in other areas as requested.
- Assist with on-going audits and pulling documentation.
- Assist with system testing and upgrades.
- Save all paid invoices electronically on the shared drive.
- Provide training as related to AP initiatives and process improvements, including our FYI sessions.
- Other duties as assigned such as: sorting mail and greeting customers, as needed.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- General knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Knowledge of office methods and procedures.
- Statistical and mathematical presentation of data.
- Advanced proficiency with current word processing and spreadsheet software programs, web browsers, query tools, integrated financial systems and/or other types of records management systems.
- Advanced proficiency with current word processing and Accountant Series, spreadsheet software programs, web browsers, query tools, integrated financial systems and/or other types of records management systems.
- General understanding of internal control methods.
- Working knowledge of federal student financial aid annual reporting requirements, and quarterly grant reporting requirements.
- Ability to interpret and follow instructions and policy guidelines.
- Ability to analyze financial and statistical data and draw conclusions.
- Utilize problem solving techniques.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Communicate effectively with others inside and outside the unit, including conveying technical information to non- Accountants.
- Ability to apply accounting principles to the analysis of complex accounting problems.
- Analyze and interpret accounting data.
- Prepare clear, accurate financial statements and reports.
- Utilize problem-solving techniques in finding solutions to complex accounting problems.
- Understand and apply applicable rules, regulations, policies, and principles.
- Make decisions and recommendations regarding accounting activities.
- Equivalent to a Bachelor's degree with a major in accounting, business administration, finance or a closely related field.
- A combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities.
- Equivalent to two years of progressively responsible professional accounting experience.
Ability to Effectively Operate the Following Software and Office Equipment:
- Personal computer
- Ten key by touch
- Fax Machine
- Document scanner
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Internet browsers
- Be able to sit for long periods, bending, reaching, lifting as required in an office environment.
- Being able to lift up to 25lbs for year end boxing of invoices as needed.
Condition(s) of Employment
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including LiveScan, as appropriate), that may include, but is not limited to: criminal records check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certificates, credit history, professional references and/or verification of work history is required for employment. Cal State East Bay will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Unsatisfactory results may also affect the continued employment of current Cal State East Bay employees who were conditionally offered the position.
All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate. LiveScan is conducted through the University Police Department.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Cal State East Bay does not discriminate on the basis of any protected categories: age, ancestry, citizenship, color, disability, gender, immigration status, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran's status. The University is committed to the principles of diversity in employment and to creating a stimulating learning environment for its diverse student body.
All California State University campuses, including Cal State East Bay, are smoke and tobacco-free. For more information, please visit our website here.
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the Cal State East Bay Annual Campus Security Report is available here.
Cal State East Bay is not a sponsoring agency for Staff or Management positions and we are not an E-Verify employer.
The incumbent in this position may be considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and will be required to comply with requirements set forth in the CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Closing Date/Time: October 9, 2023