Bargaining Unit: Local 2700 - General Clerical Unit
Why join Contra Costa County?
Are you interested in pursuing a new opportunity and a career in public service? Contra Costa County is seeking talented and qualified individuals to fill accounting-clerical vacancies throughout the County!
There are lots of opportunities for Accounting Technicians to advance to Supervising Account Clerk after satisfying the requirements. Also, there are potential advancement opportunities to other specialized and supervisory clerical positions.
We are looking for someone who is:
- Detail oriented - You will be responsible for ensuring accuracy of spelling, numbers, and data entry
- Customer Focused - Your role will require you to be responsive and proactive when addressing customer needs
- Organized - You will need to balance multiple assignments, priorities, and deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Dependable and Punctual - Your assigned unit will rely on you for support
- Team player - You will be working with a unit that relies on each other to accomplish a task
- Self-sufficient and self-reliant - You will need to make independent decisions within their scope and be accountable for those decisions
- Adaptable and approachable - You will be working with all stakeholders, such as Directors, other Account-Clerks, and external vendors and contractors
What you will typically be responsible for:
- Reconciling and balancing fund accounts
- Reviewing documents authorizing expenditures for compliance purposes
- Completing more complex central payroll work that can involve extensions, deductions, adjustments, corrections, and special warrants
- Interpreting and applying various Federal, State, and County rules and regulations
A few reasons you might love this job:
- You will perform technical work associated with the accounting of a County department or program
- You will work with others who are passionate about the work they do
- You will be working in an environment that values respect, integrity and equity
A few challenges you might face in this job:
- You must be able to solve complicated transactions and problems independently
- Your internal and external customers will include some people with strong personalities and/or have high expectations
- You will need to juggle multiple priorities with conflicting deadlines
- Innovative Problem Solving: Identifying and analyzing problems in order to propose new ways to do business
- Reading Comprehension: Understanding and using written information
- Legal & Regulatory Navigation: Understanding, interpreting, and ensuring compliance with laws and regulations
- Professional & Technical Expertise: Applying technical subject matter to the job
- Using Technology: Working with electronic hardware and software applications
- Adaptability: Responding positively to change and modifying behavior as the situation requires
- Attention to Detail: Focusing on the details of work content, work steps, and final work products
- Professional Integrity & Ethics: Displaying honesty, adherence to principles, and personal accountability
- Oral Communication: Engaging effectively in dialogue
- Writing: Communicating effectively in writing
- Professional Impact: Presenting self as a positive representative of the organization
- Teamwork: Collaborating with others to achieve shared goals
While this recruitment is to fill current openings in the Library and Treasurer/Tax Collector, the eligible list may also be used for other County Departments. To read the complete job description, please click here .
The eligible list established from this recruitment may remain in effect for six (6) months.
Experience: Four (4) years of full-time experience in the preparation and processing of accounting documents and in the maintenance of accounting records, one (1) year of which was at the level of Contra Costa County Account Clerk Advanced classification.
Substitution for Experience: Completion of 12 semester or 18 quarter units in accounting from an accredited college or university can be substituted for one year of the required experience; completion of additional education units or a college degree in business administration, finance, accounting, auditing, or a closely related field may be substituted for the required experience on a year-for-year basis.
Application Filing: All applicants must apply online at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/contracosta and submit the information as indicated on the job announcement by the final filing date.Application Evaluation: Depending on the number of applications received, an Application Evaluation Board may be convened to evaluate and select the best-qualified candidates for invitation to the next phase of the examination.Online Skills Assessment: Candidates meeting the minimum qualifications will be invited to participate in an online multiple choice assessment. The assessment will measure candidates' competencies that may include but are not limited to Professional & Technical Expertise, Attention to Detail, Professional Integrity & Ethics, and Reading Comprehension. The assessment will be administered remotely using a computer. You will need access to a reliable internet connection to take the assessment. It is not recommended to take the assessment using a cell phone. (Weighted 100%) Tentatively scheduled: November 29 - December 3, 2023. Hiring Interview: These will be scheduled by the department once the eligible list is established.
The Human Resources Department may change the examination steps noted above in accordance with the Personnel Management Regulations and accepted selection practices.
For recruitment specific questions, please contact Carol Berger at email@example.com. For any technical issues, please contact the GovernmentJobs' applicant support team for assistance at +1 855-524-5627.
After you receive a conditional job offer, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you have received a conditional job offer. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances. Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with Contra Costa County. If you accept a conditional job offer, the Human Resources department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
DISASTER SERVICE WORKER
All Contra Costa County employees are designated Disaster Service Workers through state and local law. Employment with the County requires the affirmation of a loyalty oath to this effect. Employees are required to complete all Disaster Service Worker-related training as assigned, and to return to work as ordered in the event of an emergency.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
It is the policy of Contra Costa County to consider all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, ancestry, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, or other protected category under the law.
To find more information on Benefits offered by Contra Costa County, please go to https://www.contracosta.ca.gov/1343/Employee-Benefits
Closing Date/Time: 11/17/2023 11:59 PM Pacific