Accounting Specialist II
This is a reinstatement, transfer or voluntary demotion opportunity for current and former regularly appointed employees of Alameda County.
Pursuant to Civil Service Rule 1744: On the request of a department head and approval of the Commission, a regularly appointed employee who resigned in good standing may, within three years after the effective date of his/her resignation, be reinstated in a position in the class from which he/she resigned or in a position in another class for which he/she may be eligible as determined by the Commission. Appointments by reinstatement following resignation are subject to the probationary period established for the class. You must have been a classified County employee in the same job code or in a job code at the same salary maximum and left the County in good standing. In addition, you must meet the minimum and special qualifications of the specific position.
You must be a current County classified employee in the same job code or in a job code with the same salary maximum for which you are applying. In addition, you must meet the minimum and special qualifications of the specific position.
You must be a current County classified employee in a job code which is at a higher salary maximum than the vacancy for which you are applying. In addition, you must meet the minimum and special qualifications of the specific position.
The Alameda County Public Works Agency is committed to providing a high level of service to the community we serve through the design, construction and maintenance of innovative transportation and flood control infrastructure. To accomplish this goal, our employees use creative and cost-efficient solutions to meet the challenges we face every day. We continually strive to enhance the quality of life for our customers-the residents and businesses of Alameda County-by providing safe and environmentally sensitive public works infrastructure, including roadways, bridges, and flood control channels. To learn more about the agency, visit the website atwww.acpwa.org.
Under general supervision, to provide accounting and financial support of County departments and agencies; to reconcile, maintain, monitor and control major groupings of funds, budget units, or revenue and expenditure accounts; and to do related work as required.
This is bridge class between the clerical accounting series including Accounting Specialist I and Accounting Technician and the professional-level of Accountant. This class is distinguished from the lower level Accounting Specialist I in that the former works with and is expected to show proficiency in multiple accounting systems and performs work involving county-wide financial processes and/or processes that have significant financial impact on the County. Employees are assigned the most complex, difficult, and/or specialized accounting, financial and/or budgetary work requiring analysis and evaluation of financial records to ensure accuracy and the interpretation of financial guidelines to ensure that fiscal operations are in compliance.
This class is distinguished from Accountant series by latter's knowledge of and skill in applying generally accepted accounting principles and practices and requirement for preparing analytical, narrative, statistical, and accounting reports. The professional level classes normally involve independent decision-making, development or oversight of a program or function, the more limited availability or nature of supervision received and a greater scope and complexity of activities, regulations and guidelines.
The equivalent of one year of experience as an Accounting Specialist I in the Alameda County classified service. (Non-classified includes District Attorney's Office, Hospital Authority, and the Consolidated Courts.)
Equivalent to completion of two years of college (90 quarter units or 60 semester units) from an accredited college or university in a bookkeeping or accounting curriculum. (Additional experience as outlined below may be substituted for the education on a year-for-year basis.)
Equivalent to two years of full-time bookkeeping experience at a level equivalent to the Accounting Specialist I classification and which has included some combination of document review and processing, administrative or financial recordkeeping and/or office management.
Specified positions may require possession of a valid California driver's license.
NOTE: The Civil Service Commission may modify the above Minimum Qualifications in the announcement of an examination.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
NOTE: The level and scope of the following knowledge and abilities are related to duties listed under the "Examples of Duties" section of this specification.
• Practices and techniques of automated accounting and financial record keeping and report preparation.
• Accounting principles and bookkeeping practices
• Principles and practices of auditing and reconciling a variety of financial and accounting documents and records
• Computer applications related to the work, including spreadsheet and data base applications
• Procedures, terminology and forms related to the functional area to which assigned.
• Techniques used to reconcile subsidiary accounts, to control accounts, and to maintain books through trial balance
• Basic budgeting and cost accounting practices and procedures.
• Microsoft Excel and Access Database.
• Audit and reconcile financial, accounting and budgetary documents and records; maintain journals and reports.
• Read, interpret and apply rules, regulations, policies and procedures involved in fiscal recordkeeping and accounting functions
• Compile fiscal and financial data.
• Learn accounting structure, financial guidelines, systems, and procedures of the department, fiscal program or agency.
• Learn basic budgeting and funding regulations, practices, and procedures.
• Interpret, explain and apply regulations and procedures in varying situations.
• Organize and prioritize work and meet critical deadlines.
• Maintain accurate records and files.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work.
Alameda County offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that affords wide-ranging health care options to meet the different needs of a diverse workforce and their families. We also sponsor many different employee discount, fitness and health screening programs focused on overall well being. These benefits include but are not limited to*:
For your Health & Well-Being
- Medical - HMO & PPO Plans
- Dental - HMO & PPO Plans
- Vision or Vision Reimbursement
- Share the Savings
- Basic Life Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance (with optional dependent coverage for eligible employees)
- County Allowance Credit
- Flexible Spending Accounts - Health FSA, Dependent Care and Adoption Assistance
- Short-Term Disability Insurance
- Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Voluntary Benefits - Accident Insurance, Critical Illness, Hospital Indemnity and Legal Services
- Employee Assistance Program
For your Financial Future
- Retirement Plan - (Defined Benefit Pension Plan)
- Deferred Compensation Plan (457 Plan or Roth Plan)
For your Work/Life Balance
- 12 paid holidays
- Floating Holidays
- Vacation and sick leave accrual
- Vacation purchase program
- Catastrophic Sick Leave
- Group Auto/Home Insurance
- Pet Insurance
- Commuter Benefits Program
- Guaranteed Ride Home
- Employee Wellness Program (e.g. At Work Fitness, Incentive Based Programs, Gym Membership Discounts)
- Employee Discount Program (e.g. theme parks, cell phone, etc.)
- Child Care Resources
- 1 st United Services Credit Union
*Eligibility is determined by Alameda County and offerings may vary by collective bargaining agreement. This provides a brief summary of the benefits offered and can be subject to change.
TO APPLY:Please contact Bismarck Blanco at phone number (510) 670-5415 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
You are encouraged to apply immediately as this posting is open until filled and may close at anytime.
Alameda County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
AddThis Sharing Buttons
Closing Date/Time: Continuous