The purpose of this position is to perform paraprofessional accounting work of a highly skilled and responsible nature. This is accomplished by processing a bi-weekly payroll; filing and resolving various tax reports and records; reconciling receivable and payable statements, reports, logs, and/or other documents; completing bank reconciliations; and processing voucher check requests, procurement cards, and other accounts payable duties.
FLSA Exemption Status: Non-exempt
Examples of Duties
Processes Bi-weekly Payroll, Performs Daily Cash Management and Manages Accounts Payable
- Process assigned payroll functions.
- Prepare direct deposit files to be uploaded to the bank.
- Prepare bi-weekly federal, state, and FICA taxes.
- Update payroll through reconciling various system-generated reports.
- Verify and transfer 401(k) and other payments.
- Manage process of accounts payable and daily cash receipts reconciliations.
Completes Various Tax Reports
- Reconcile quarterly system tax records with state and federal reports.
- Process and file W-2s.
- File other required state and federal tax and wage reports.
Reconciles Bank and Investment Transactions
- Update the financial system with daily deposits of City revenue.
- Upload the bank data transmission documents.
- Verify with bank statement that each transaction is correct and accounted for on both a daily and monthly basis.
- Complete monthly and daily cash reconciliations.
Organizes Various Records and Requests
- Prepare journal vouchers.
- Process each procurement card received.
- Verify that all statement of accounts correspond correctly with the procurement card statements.
- Compare voucher checks with invoices in order to ensure validity.
- Send checks to vendors via either mail or electronic funds transfer.
- Keep thorough documentation on all cards, requests, and paperwork involved.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Accounting, Business Administration, or related field and
• Minimum of three years of experience in accounting, finance, payroll, or related field.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- payroll functions;
- business operations, policies and practices; and
- accounting practices and procedures.
- Microsoft Office software;
- Critical thinking, using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems; and
- Complex problem solving, identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Understand operations and procedures of City departments;
- Make mathematical calculations rapidly and accurately;
- Conduct research and analyze and evaluate data;
- Use computer software to develop and maintain applications used in work or for the use of others.
- Train and instruct groups and individuals.
- Effectively organize thoughts and handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Prepare and maintain reports and records;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with City officials, employees, and general public; and
- Communicate orally and in writing with other employees and the general public.
- Grasp new subjects quickly.
- Work cooperatively with City officials, other employees, and the general public.
- Work safely without presenting a direct threat to self or others.
- Meet the mental and physical demands of the job.
The City of Greenville offers a comprehensive benefits package to all regular full-time employees including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and short-term disability insurance. Employees in designated part-time positions may participate in some of the benefit programs offered to regular full-time employees.
Visit the City of Greenville Human Resources Website for a more in depth summary of our benefits.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous