Accounting Officer Intermediate – Accounts Payable Officer
The Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED) is the State of Minnesota's principal economic development agency. DEED's mission is simple: to empower the growth of the Minnesota economy, for everyone.
Our state's economy is diverse and dynamic, enriched by creative entrepreneurs, established Fortune 500 companies, and a labor force that brings the Minnesota values of hard work and integrity to work every day. The unique role of DEED is to empower businesses and workers to grow our economy by building partnerships, planning for long term growth, and creating opportunity for workers from all backgrounds and experiences.
We are driven to find talented and innovative public servants, motivated by the opportunity to serve businesses, people, and the greater good. At DEED you will join a diverse team, inspired by challenging work and united by shared values that guide our work every day.
At DEED we live our values by; focusing on the customer, communicating early and often, seeking solutions, creating inclusion, encouraging new ideas, and being gracious.
Working Title: Accounts Payable Officer
Job Class: Accounting Officer Intermediate
Agency: Department of Employment and Economic Development
- Who May Apply: This vacancy is open for bids and for all qualified job seekers simultaneously. Bidders will be considered through 09/19/2023.
- Date Posted: 09/13/2023
- Closing Date: 09/26/2023
- Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Employ & Econ Development Dept / Employ & Economic Dev-MAPE
- Division/Unit: CO Fiscal Management
- Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift, 8am - 4:30pm
- Days of Work: Monday - Friday
- Travel Required: No
- Salary Range: $23.62 - $34.45 / hourly; $49,318 - $71,931 / annually
- Classified Status: Classified
- Bargaining Unit/Union: 214 - MN Assoc of Professional Empl/MAPE
- FLSA Status: Nonexempt
- Telework Eligible: Yes, may be eligible to telework up to four (4) days per week.
- Designated in Connect 700 Program for Applicants with Disabilities : Yes
Make a difference in the lives of Minnesotans.
The work you'll do is more than just a job. Join the talented, engaged and inclusive workforce dedicated to creating a better Minnesota.
DEED is committed to radically increasing economic impacts for individuals and businesses that face systematic barriers to growth. This position will also contribute to building a positive internal culture that makes DEED an extraordinary place to work!
This position assists with providing high level financial management and accounting work for our department. In collaboration with the Senior Officer, assists with managing the Admin Accounting - Accounts Payable department by ensuring that Federal, State, and other funds used for payments are accurate given DEED's complex budget, projects, and chart of accounts. This position ensure payments are appropriately cost allocated as well as reconciles and processes transactions are through SWIFT (StateWide Integrated Financial Tools). This position will assist with complex problems such as past due or disputed vendor accounts, cost allocations, insufficient funds, purchasing violations, backorders, and other issues. They ensure state purchasing card payments are timely made, business expense reimbursements are done timely and accurately including, cash advances, and employee relocation expenses.
To receive credit for your education and experience, your resume should clearly describe how you meet each minimum and/or preferred qualification listed, including dates of employment.
Two (2) years* of professional experience in accounting, financial management, or grants management.
*Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, business, or other closely related field as determined by the agency may substitute one (1) year of experience; master's degree substitutes for eighteen (18) months of experience.
Applicants that meet the above minimum qualification will be further evaluated on the following:
- Experience applying generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and practices sufficient to coordinate various phases of accounting functions.
- Ability to analyze and interpret complex fiscal reports and records for adherence and conformance to federal laws, state statutes, and department policies.
- Experience using Microsoft Office products such as Word and Excel, including use of pivot tables and advanced formulas such as VLOOKUP or similar functions.
- Communications skills that demonstrate the ability for clear and persuasive presentations.
Experience with reviewing and processing billings and invoices.
Experience with Statewide accounting systems (SWIFT and OBIEE) or similar software (SAP and PeopleSoft).
Skill in organization to manage workload, competing priorities, and meet strict deadlines.
Experience in reviewing accounting policies and procedures to help ensure compliance.
Our employees are dedicated to ensuring cultural responsiveness. Preferred candidates will have a variety of experiences working effectively with others from different backgrounds and cultures.
This position requires successful completion of the following:
Resumes of all applicants to this posting will be evaluated against the Minimum Qualifications stated above. If your skills match the required skills for this position, the department may contact you. Employee reference checks will be conducted on all finalists. This may include a review of documentation related to job performance and education. It includes contact with the applicant's current and former employers.
A Criminal Background Check will be conducted on all finalists for this position. A criminal conviction will not automatically remove you from consideration for employment.
When the position requires travel and the applicant drives a state owned or leased vehicle, a driver's license record check will be conducted.
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
About Department of Employment and Economic Development
The Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED) is the State of Minnesota's principal economic development agency. DEED's mission is simple: to empower the growth of the Minnesota economy, for everyone. Our state's economy is diverse and dynamic, enriched by creative entrepreneurs, established Fortune 500 companies, and a labor force that brings the Minnesota values of hard work and integrity to work every day. At DEED we live our values by; focusing on the customer, communicating early and often, seeking solutions, creating inclusion, encouraging new ideas, and being gracious.
DEED Is a Yellow Ribbon Agency. A Yellow Ribbon organization unites and coordinates all key areas within an organization to create a comprehensive network to proactively support servicemembers, veterans and military families.
Why Work for Us
We are committed to continually developing a workforce that reflects the diversity of our state and the populations we serve. The varied experiences and perspectives of employees strengthen the work we do together and our ability to best serve the people of Minnesota.
A recent engagement survey of State of Minnesota employees found:
- 95% of employees understand how their work helps achieve their agency's mission
- 91% of employees feel trusted to do their jobs
- 88% of employees feel equipped to look at situations from other cultural perspectives when doing their job
- 87% of employees report flexibility in their work schedule
Our benefits aim to balance four key elements that make life and work meaningful: health and wellness, financial well-being, professional development, and work/life harmony. As an employee, your benefits may include:
- Public pension plan
- Training and professional development
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 11 paid holidays each year
- Paid parental leave
- Low-cost medical and dental coverage
- Prescription drug coverage
- Vision coverage
- Wellness programs and resources
- Employer paid life insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Health care spending and savings accounts
- Dependent care spending account
- Tax-deferred compensation
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Federal Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
Programs, resources and benefits eligibility varies based on type of employment, agency, funding availability, union/collective bargaining agreement, location, and length of service with the State of Minnesota.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Minnesota state agencies are equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employers. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate what assistance is needed.