Join our team and be a part of Scottsdale's future! We are looking for a strong, experienced leader who can uphold the City Treasurer's mission to ensure long-term financial sustainability and integrity. Our office is in the heart of Old Town, across from City Hall. The position manages the accounting team with oversight to capital projects, accounts payable, fixed assets, GASB implementations, and financial reporting for the city. This position will annually receive 12 paid holidays, 96 hours of medical leave, 3 weeks of vacation, and health and dental benefits start immediately. Apply today if you are excited to manage a high-performing team dedicated to serving a world-class community through collaboration and transparency.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or a closely related field from an accredited educational institution.
- Four years of accounting experience.
- Must have at least one year of lead or supervisory experience.
Licensing and Other Requirements
- Must possess or obtain Certification as a public accountant (CPA) within five years of accepting the position and must maintain certification once received.
- Every person employed by the City of Scottsdale shall reside in the State of Arizona during his or her active employment by the City, regardless of whether the employee is approved to remote work.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on department/section assignment.
- Plans and oversees several of the operations, staff, and activities of the City's accounting functions which may include general ledger, payroll, accounts receivable, accounts payable, long-term debt, grants, and fixed assets.
- Establishes work priorities and assignments; sets performance goals and objectives; monitors and evaluates accounting operations; and implements changes to improve efficiency and accuracy.
- Reviews accounting activities, transactions, and reconciliations; ensures accuracy and compliance with state, federal and local regulations and with generally accepted accounting principles; reviews and approves final documents and transactions; identifies discrepancies; and initiates and/or implements corrective actions to resolve discrepancies and correct errors.
- Compiles the City's Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR) and other financial reports; and ensures compliance with applicable laws, regulations and audit requirements.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work is performed in a City office environment.
- Work requires knowledge of and proficiency on a variety of standard office equipment, including a computer, telephone, calculator, copy and fax machine requiring continuous and repetitive arm, hand, and eye movement.
- Travel to/from meetings and various City locations may be required.
Click here to review the entire job description.
The City of Scottsdale offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- 12 Paid Holidays, which includes 1 Floating Holiday
- Vacation Accrual; starts at 10.3 hours/month
- Sick Leave Accrual; 8 hours/month
- Medical (which includes behavioral health coverage), Dental and Vision Benefits
- City Paid Basic Life Insurance (equal to one times employee annual salary); option of Supplemental Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement; $2,500/year
- Participation in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) Defined benefit plan with mandatory employer and employee contributions currently at 12.29% which includes a Long-Term Disability benefit
- Supplemental Retirement Plans through Nationwide
- Pet Insurance
- Bilingual pay compensation
The application and supplemental questions are an integral part of the selection process and must be completed in full in order for you to be considered as a candidate. Please complete each section and answer all questions as thoroughly as possible. DO NOT state "See resume" in lieu of answering. Unanswered questions, incomplete responses, omissions, or partial information may result in disqualification from the selection process.
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include a panel interview and an assessment exercise. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
- Criminal Background screening for the past 7 years
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.
PLEASE NOTE: Years of experience are based on a work schedule of 2,080 hours per year for full-time positions and 1,040 hours per year for part-time positions, and while work experience may substitute for education on a year-for-year basis, depending upon the job classification, education may not be substituted for work experience.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change .
Closing Date/Time: 9/22/2023 11:59 PM Arizona