Mohave County Office of Financial Services is currently recruiting for the position of Accounting Manager.
Performs professional advanced level work involved in accounting, auditing and analysis and maintaining fiscal records and systems. Responsible for performing highly specialized accounting work required to maintain the general ledger. Supervise and review the work of other professional, technical and administrative support staff and engage closely with other departments as related to accounting, reviewing and approving payroll matters, the procurement of goods and services, reconciliation of revenue and banking items, and financial reporting and related analysis. Responsible for preparing annual financial statements and annual audit.
Work is performed independently under direction of a higher level of authority and requires exercising initiative and independent judgement and decisions in accordance with established procedures and regulations.
Exercises technical, functional and/or direct supervision of subordinates. May, as assigned, involve supervision of teams assigned on specific task.
Essential Job Functions
- Responsible for the development of policies, systems, procedures relating to internal financial controls.
- Provides advice and assistance to diverse county functions to ensure compliance with county policy, statutory requirements and generally accepted accounting principles, and government accounting procedures.
- Responsible for evaluating internal control processes to ensure segregation of duties and create electronic workflow processes that comply with the Uniform Accounting Manual for Arizona Counties (UMAC).
- Assist in development and implementation of new procedures and features to improve accounting processes and procedures and to enhance the workflow of the department.
- Ensure compliance with the financial procedures of the organization.
- Responsible for proper accounting and recordation of fixed assets and ensuring compliance with regulatory standards (GASB) for accounting and recording disposal of assets.
- Supervises, directs, and reviews the work of the accounting staff (including, but not limited to, cash reconciliations, trust account statement reconciliations, check runs, accounts receivable transactions, fixed asset activity, payroll, accounts payable transactions, debt activity, recording of revenue and expenses, etc.) to maintain the general ledger and ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met.
- Coordinates monthly, quarterly, and annual closing activities.
- Produces annual financial statements and ad hoc financial reports.
- Provides technical assistance in the development and completion of schedules and reports.
- Monitors state and federal grant revenues and expenditures.
- Communicates and acts in a professional manner with the public, co-workers, and work contacts.
- Maintains organized set of detailed records and files to document financial transactions.
- Resolves complex accounting issues or assists other personnel in resolving financial issues.
- Reviews general ledger on a monthly basis to ensure accuracy of posting.
- Engage in critical and confidential aspects of accounting.
- Advise management on matters of fiscal procedure and importance for the organization.
- Works with confidential data, which, if disclosed, might have significant internal effect or minor external effect.
- Responds to inquiries financial data and special reporting requests.
- Collaborates with the other finance department managers to support overall department goals and objectives.
- Monitors and analyzes department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Performs related work as required.
- Performs special assignments as requested.
- Exercise regular and predictable attendance and punctuality in accordance with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures.
PREFERRED SPECIAL REQUIREMENT
- Maintain and possess a current certification as a Certified Public Accountant, Certified Managerial Accountant or Certified Internal Auditor.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Business Administration with a major in Accounting.
- Six (6) years progressively responsible professional experience in comprehensive, centralized accounting and personnel systems providing governmental accounting and fiscal management services in public agency setting.
- Two (2) years supervisory experience.
- OR an equivalent combination of extensive experience, education and training which provides the desired knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
SPECIAL JOB REQUIREMENT
- Must possess a valid Driver's License for operation of motor vehicles on Arizona roads at the start of employment and maintain said license while employed in this position.
- Provide acceptable driving history at no cost to the County.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Principles, theories, practices and concepts of accounting including cost accounting, governmental accounting, enterprise accounting and accounting analysis procedures.
- Accounting principles, theory and practices and application, preferably in governmental settings.
- Fiscal administration and budgetary practices.
- Financial accounting, analysis, reporting and auditing practices.
- Strong understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting principles (GAAP) and Governmental Accounting Standards (GASB).
- Modern office procedures and practices, including record keeping and data security methods and techniques.
- Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures and Department policies and procedures.
- Principles and practices of management and management control.
- Governmental/non-profit accounting principles and procedures and data processing systems.
- Operating and capital budget concepts.
- Policies and practices associated with payroll and benefits administration.
- Personal computer and software applications.
- Conducting critical analyses and research.
- Reconciling accounts.
- Preparing complex financial reports and documentation.
- Coordinating fiscal activities.
- Interpreting and applying applicable laws, codes, regulations, and standards.
- Utilizing a computer and relevant software applications in performance of work assignments, such as electronic spreadsheets, word processing, graphics and information technology.
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, and the general public, sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
- Communicating and maintaining professionalism with the public, co-workers, and work contacts.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to maintain detailed records.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
- Review, prepare and analyze accounting transactions.
- Establish and enforce proper accounting methods, policies, principles and procedures.
- Prepare financial statements and technical reports in accordance with varying regulations and reporting requirements.
- Coordinate and complete annual audits.
- Analyze, audit and interpret accounting records, financial statements, computer printouts and reports of financial and accounting systems for completeness and accuracy.
- Manipulate large amounts of data.
- Establish and maintain fiscal files and records to document transactions.
- Gather and analyze appropriate relevant data and prepare and present clear, concise and accurate reports and related information.
- Improve systems and procedures and initiate corrective actions.
- Manage and oversee the daily operations including: month and year-end process, accounts payable/receivable, cash receipts, general ledger, payroll and utilities, revenue and expenditure variance analysis, capital assets reconciliations, trust account statement reconciliations, check runs, fixed asset activity.
- Assign projects and direct staff to ensure compliance and accuracy, effectively direct and supervise.
- Work effectively under stressful conditions.
- Exercise initiative and sound judgment and to react with discretion under varying conditions.
- Establish and maintain effective and appropriate relationships with the public, other departments, other agencies, and employees.
Mohave County provides two options for Self Insured Medical Plan, paid by Employee & Employer, to regular employees (employees who work at least 30 hours per week). Both plan options utilize the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona for in Arizona coverage, plus the Aetna Choice POS II network for out of Arizona coverage; when you need medical care, select a provider from the directory and verify the provider's current status as a network provider. The medical plans include pharmacy benefits.
- Summary Plan Description
- PLAN 1: Exclusive Provider Organization (EPO) Plan Deductible $1,000 per person deductible. Calendar Year Out of Pocket Maximum per Single Coverage is $6,300 and $12,700 for Family Coverage.
- PLAN 2: High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) $3,000 maximum Out of Pocket for Single Coverage and $6000 maximum Out of Pocket maximum for Family
Out of Pocket Maximum includes medical Deductible, medical Copays, Prescription Drug Deductible and Copays.
Teladoc is a healthcare option available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, and 365 days per year for non-emergent medical conditions.
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
This voluntary benefit is available to all regular employees working at least 30 hours per week. This pre-tax option will reduce taxable income.
- Health care reimbursement account: up to $2,850 per year
- Dependent daycare reimbursement account: up to $5,000 per year
Health Savings Account (HSA)
This voluntary benefit is available to all qualified employees who are on the High Deductible Health Plan. This pre-tax option will reduce taxable income. You may elect to contribute up to the full 2023 annual limit:
- $3,850 max employee contribution for Single coverage
- $7,750 max employee contribution for Family coverage.
Dental insurance is available to regular employees working at least 30 hours per week through Ameritas.
- High Option: $2,000 maximum annual benefit.High Option includes orthodontia benefit with lifetime maximum of $1,500.
- Low Option: $2,000 maximum annual benefit.
Vision insurance is available to regular employees working at least 30 hours per week through Ameritas. Ameritas offers access to a broad network of independent providers as well as access to out-of-network providers with two plan options available. Plan 1: EyeMed ViewPointe or Plan 2: VSP Focus.
Short Term Disability
Coverage is through Ochs, Inc. - Madison National
Short-Term Disability (STD) is insurance that replaces some of your income if an injury or illness prevents you from working. Provided by Mohave County.
Coverage is through Ochs, Inc. - Minnesota Life
- Basic Life Insurance / Accidental Death & Dismemberment of $50,000
- Provided by Mohave County to regular employees working at least 30 hours per week
Optional / Voluntary Benefits
Payroll deductions are available for the following Optional / Voluntary Benefits:
- Supplemental Life Insurance is available through Ochs, Inc.- Minnesota Life Insurance Company for employees, spouse and dependent children.
- Tax Deferred Compensation Plan 457: this option is voluntary and available to all employees through ICMA-RC or Nationwide.
- Identity Theft Protection is available through IdentityForce, Sontiq for employees and eligible dependents
Retirement Systems / Long-Term Disability
Mohave County is a MANDATORY participating agency in these classification-based retirement systems:
- (ASRS) Arizona State Retirement System: Eligible employees working at least 20 hours per week for 20 weeks or more. MANDATORY contribution rate as of 07/01/2023 is 12.29% beginning on your first paycheck and is employer matched.
- (CORP) Correction Officers Retirement Plan: Employees in Adult Detention positions with the Sheriff's Office. Contributions begin 90 days after first day of employment. Election rates of contribution are between 5% - 40%; default rate of 7%.
- (AOC-CORP) Administration of Courts - Correction Officers Retirement Plan: Juvenile Detention and Adult Probation (Superior Court). Contributions begin 90 days after first day of employment. Election rates of contribution are between 5% - 40%; default rate of 7%.
- (PSPRS) Public Safety Retirement System: Employees in certain positions with the Sheriff's Office. Defined Benefit Tier 3 contribution amount is 9.94%. Contributions begin 90 days after first day of employment.
The following additional benefits are available to all regular employees:
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Payroll direct deposit
- Paid Time Off - vacation/sick time
- Pre-tax deduction plan
- Up to 80% of medical premiums paid by Mohave County
- Bereavement Leave
These materials were created to help you understand the benefits available to you. This is not a Summary Plan Description and is not intended to replace the benefit summaries or schedule of benefits contained within the Plan. If any provision of these materials is inconsistent with the language of the Plan, the language of the Plan will govern .