Accounting Associate III
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited four year college or university with major coursework in a field related to Finance, Accounting, or Economics plus two years of related experience.
- Any combination of related experience and/or education may be substituted.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
Notes to Applicants
The Financial Services Department mission is to maintain the financial and economic integrity of the City; provide comprehensive and integrated financial management, administration, and support services to City departments and other customers; and develop and lead innovative programs that increase the prosperity of Austinites, businesses, and diverse neighborhoods, creating a cultural and economic environment that enhances the vitality of the community.
Position Overview: This position will help review City-wide travel documents and assist with providing training and guidance for the City Departments' travel liaisons. This includes assisting the manager with conducting quarterly or biannual training for all new travel liaisons and for departments that need additional guidance. This role will assist with developing a written travel document review process and procedure. In addition, this position will assist with check review and cash receipts and other duties as assigned.
Ninety (90) day provision for additional vacancy: When the same or an additional vacancy occurs within a department in the same job title within 90 days after the start date of the top candidate, the hiring department may offer the additional position to another candidate from the same candidate pool.
Application Instructions and Top Candidate Requirements:
A detailed and complete Employment Application is required. Resume and Cover Letter are required and will not be accepted in lieu of a complete online Employment Application. Employment history dates on resume should match online Employment Application. Employment history dates must include month and year. Please include contact information from previous employers. Top Candidates may be subject to a skills assessment. The candidate selected for this position may be required to provide proof of education. This position will require a pre-employment Criminal Background Investigation.
If you are selected for this position and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
Working with the City of Austin provides a number of health and wellness benefits such as low-cost medical, dental, vision, paid leave time, a highly competitive retirement plan, training opportunities and more. Please click HERE for more information .
$24.42 - $28.65
Monday to Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Hybrid Work Schedule Opportunities May Be Available
Effective January 1, 2024, Staff who are eligible to telework are required to be in the office for a minimum of three (3) days per week.
Job Close Date 09/29/2023
Type of Posting External
Department Financial Services
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location 124 W. 8th Street, Austin, TX 78701
- Experience creating & reviewing financial documents for accuracy and completeness.
- Ability to interpret and implement financial policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated experience handling and responding customer inquiries and services.
- Experience using financial systems such as Advantage III .
- Ability to travel to more than one work location.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Prepares, reviews and approves accounting transactions for routine and non-routine accounts payable, cash receipts, billing or other accounting transactions by verifying documentation from multiple sources. Review and reconciles high volume and complicated transactions. Coordinates and prepares asset, liability, and capital account entries by compiling and analyzing account information. Researches and analyzes basic and non-routine asset information for establishment of fixed assets. Performs non-routine and complex duties associated with the reconciliation, balancing or processing of vouchers, ledgers, journals, reports and statements. Prepares complex and non-routine financial analysis and trend analysis of data. Researches and resolves complex and difficult billing, invoicing, financial inquiries, accounting and budget information. Reconciles accounts, identifies and prepares corrections by collecting and analyzing account information and analyzing accounting options. Responds to inquiries requiring knowledge of accounting practices, policies, and procedures. Prepares complex, non-standard financial analysis, data analysis and trend analysis to produce financial and graphical reports. Prepares financial statements and/or special financial reports including balance sheets, income statements, and other reports. Investigates and reconciles accounting transactions, reconciles and resolves discrepancies. Provides root cause analysis of process problems. Maintains information and reviews financial transactions by creating and/or monitoring electronic files and/or accounting documents. Performs financial analysis of special projects and programs as requested. Prepares audit work papers for annual or special audit by accumulating data accurately for assigned area(s) in a timely and accurate manner. Assists in the development of guidelines, procedures and templates for financial review and reporting. Maintains accounting controls and financial security by following policies and procedures and internal controls.
Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles ( GAAP )
- Knowledge of financial reporting concepts and preferred business practices.
- Knowledge of data and trend analysis
- Skill in analyzing and interpreting financial records.
- Skill in processing large volumes of numerical data
- Skill in effective verbal and written communication.
- Skill in operating a personal computer and related equipment.
- Skill in performing basic mathematical calculations.
- Skill in classifying fiscal data and compiling reports.
- Skill in data analysis and financial analysis using spreadsheets.
- Ability to make recommendations to solve complex problems.
- Ability to identify and select appropriate tools and techniques to identify problems and develop solutions.
- Ability to plan and organize tasks to complete projects.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize duties
- Ability to resolve problems or situations requiring the exercise of good judgment.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public.
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
The City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual's AIDS , AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* The minimum qualifications for the Accounting Associate III position are: Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited four year college or university with major coursework in a field related to Finance, Accounting, or Economics plus two years of related experience. Any combination of related experience and/or education may be substituted. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
* Briefly describe your experience creating & reviewing financial documents for accuracy & completeness.
(Open Ended Question)
* Describe your ability to interpret & implement financial policies and procedures.
(Open Ended Question)
* Briefly explain how you have demonstrated experience handling and responding to customer inquiries and services.
(Open Ended Question)
* Please describe your experience with Financial systems such as Advantage III, eCombs, eCapris, Works, etc.
(Open Ended Question)
* Do you have the ability to travel to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties?
* This position requires a criminal background check. By selecting the following, you are acknowledging that you understand if you are selected as a top candidate for this position, you will need a successful CBI to be hired.
- I acknowledge and understand this position requires a Criminal Background Check
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Cover Letter Resume Optional Documents