- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to accounting, twenty-four (24) college semester hours in accounting plus four (4) years of accounting experience.
- One (1) year of experience as lead or supervisor.
- A Master's degree in Accounting or Business Administration may substitute for one (1) year of accounting experience.
- A CPA may substitute for the required four-year degree
Licenses and Certifications Required:
Notes to Applicants
THE DEPARTMENT MAY CLOSE THIS JOB POSTING AT ANY TIME AFTER 7 DAYS .
The City of Austin's Financial Services Department fosters and develops sustainable organizational capacity for continuous improvement through the utilization of outcome-based approaches to setting priorities and budgeting that enable the City to proactively and thoughtfully assess performance and improve community outcomes.
The Accountant IV for the Grant team will assist with grant reporting requirements related to COVID -19, including American Rescue Plan ( ARPA ) and Federal Emergency Management Agency ( FEMA ) public assistance (PA). This position will assemble the annual ARPA Recovery Plan and enter information in the Treasury portal quarterly. This position will interact with departments to gather and review grant expenditures prior to submission to the federal government for reimbursement. This position will also assemble the annual statements for the Annual Comprehensive Financial Report ( ACFR ) using Excel, Word, and Adobe.
The Accountant IV for the Payroll team will review bi-weekly payroll documents, prepare monthly payroll entries and bank reconciliations. This position will direct/lead/and participate in digital timekeeping and Workday Human Capital System projects. This position will also assist in testing for Workday business processes.
The Accountant IV for the Fixed Assets team will be responsible for reviewing and processing financial transactions and reporting within the Asset Accounting at the Accounting and Financial Reporting division. This position will assist in the implementation and ongoing adherence to Governmental Accounting Standards Board ( GASB ) assets related pronouncements. This position will respond to requests from the City's auditors. This position will also assist with reporting on the city's Annual Comprehensive Financial Report ( ACFR ).
Ninety (90) day provision for additional vacancy: When the same or an additional vacancy occurs within a department in the same job title within 90 days after the start date of the top candidate, the hiring department may offer the additional position to another candidate from the same candidate pool.
Application Instructions and Top Candidate Requirements:
A detailed and complete Employment Application is required. Resume and Cover Letter are required and will not be accepted in lieu of a complete online Employment Application. Employment history dates on resume should match online Employment Application. Employment history dates must include month and year. Please include contact information from previous employers. Top Candidates may be subject to a skills assessment. The candidate selected for this position may be required to provide proof of education. This position will require a pre-employment Criminal Background Check.
Working with the City of Austin provides a number of health and wellness benefits such as low-cost medical, dental, vision, paid leave time, a highly competitive retirement plan, training opportunities and more. Please click HERE for more information .
Travel: If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
$34.86 - $44.45
Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Telework opportunities may be available after an initial training period. Work schedules are implemented to meet the requirements of the department and are subject to change based on business needs.
Effective January 1, 2024, non-executive staff that are eligible to telework are required to be in the office for a minimum of three (3) days per week.
Job Close Date 09/06/2023
Type of Posting External
Department Financial Services
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location Municipal Building, 124 W. 8th Street, Austin, Texas 78701
- Experience in governmental accounting
- Familiarity with various GASB standards such as 87, 94, 96, etc
- Skills in analyzing and interpreting large volumes of data
- Advanced Excel skills and familiarity with Access
- Knowledge of grant and/or FEMA reporting
- Experience with software implementation
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Provides coordination and oversees the collections of revenue and/or processing of customer payments; analysis, and clearing of delinquent accounts; notifying customers of insufficient payments; calculating/assessing delinquent fines/fees, etc. Prepares complex financial statements for external reporting or financial reports by preparing and/or overseeing the preparation of complex balance sheets, income statements, cash flow statements, and reports; collecting, analyzing, and summarizing general ledger account information and trends; applying advanced skills and knowledge of accounting and reporting requirements of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, GAAP . Prepares audit work papers for annual external audit or special audit by preparing, reviewing, and/or overseeing the preparation of complex supporting work papers for assigned area(s); providing explanations of City policy and procedures and responding to auditor questions and requests for information in a timely and accurate manner. Carries out complex projects by researching new accounting standards and related reporting/ information requirements, organizing/summarizing research results, and presenting recommendations to management for timely implementation in the City's Comprehensive Annual Financial Report. Maintains accounting ledgers by posting/reviewing and/or approving the posting of account transactions; ensuring transactions are processed in accordance with GAAP , City policy, applicable laws and regulations, and sound business practices. Leads reconciliation of general ledger and/or bank accounts and resolves account discrepancies by reconciling and/or reviewing the reconciliation of statements and transactions and investigating documentation; issuing stop payments, payments, or adjustments, and by facilitating discrepancy resolutions for other accounting staff members. Assists departments and other internal or external customers by drafting procedural, financial, and/or other information and guidance with automated or manual accounting systems. Provides guidance and direction through the review of asset, liability, inventory, and/or capital accounting entries as prepared by internal/ external department staff, and provides City-wide accounting software training or proctors Continuing Professional Education ( CPE ) classes. Assesses internal accounting controls for effectiveness; presents procedural recommendations to management; maintains financial security by documenting the established internal accounting controls.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and guidance to others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Advanced knowledge of internal control systems.
- Advanced knowledge of financial reporting in conformity with generally accepted accounting principles, GAAP .
- Advanced knowledge of financial reporting concepts and preferred business practices.
- Knowledge of manual and automated financial systems.
- Knowledge of the preparation process of complex financial statements and reports in conformity with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Skill in classifying complex fiscal data and compiling fund level statements and reports
- Skill in effective verbal and written communications.
- Skill in managing and processing large volumes of financial transaction data.
- Skill in analyzing and interpreting financial records.
- Skill in utilizing personal computer.
- Skill in designing and maintaining complex spreadsheets and data bases utilizing word processing software.
- Ability to prepare accurate and complex financial reports and statements.
- Ability to resolve problems or situations requiring the exercise of good judgement.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual's AIDS , AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* The Accountant IV position requires Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in a field related to accounting, twenty-four (24) college semester hours in accounting plus four (4) years of accounting experience; One (1) year of experience as lead or supervisor; A Master's degree in Accounting or Business Administration may substitute for one (1) year of accounting experience; A CPA may substitute for the required four-year degree. Do you meet the minimum qualifications for this position?
* Describe your experience with state and/or federal grant administration and monitoring.
(Open Ended Question)
* Briefly describe your software implementation experience.
(Open Ended Question)
* Briefly describe your experience with governmental accounting.
(Open Ended Question)
* This position requires a criminal background check. By selecting the following, you are acknowledging that you understand if you are selected as a top candidate for this position, you will need a successful Criminal Background Investigation (CBI) to be hired.
- I acknowledge and understand this position requires a Criminal Background Investigation (CBI).
* Do you have the ability to travel to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties?
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Cover Letter Resume Optional Documents