Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to accounting, twenty-four (24) college semester hours in accounting plus four (4) years of accounting experience.
- One (1) year of experience as lead or supervisor.
- A Master's degree in Accounting or Business Administration may substitute for one (1) year of accounting experience.
- A CPA may substitute for the required four-year degree.
Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants
This position is on the fixed assets and general reporting team within the Corporate Accounting group. Responsibilities include coordinating and reviewing updates to fixed assets and the general ledger, preparing, researching and analyzing complex financial transactions and reports, researching and presenting accounting standards, preparing and reviewing audit work papers, leading reconciliations of balance sheet accounts, providing leadership and training to other accountants, and coordinating and completing other duties as assigned.
Candidates selected for interview(s) may be required to complete an
assessment(s) approved by Municipal Civil Service process, Rule 4.
GOOD STANDING COA EMPLOYEES :
Employees, in Good Standing, who are candidates within the
department/division that the position resides in and who meet the minimum and preferred qualifications (if any) of the position will be included in the initial interview. Department/division employee must remain in Good Standing through the Top Candidate Selection phase at which time the Good Standing status will be re-verified.
- The City of Austin employment application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Please be sure to detail on the application all current and previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- The Employment Record should be complete with job titles, employment dates, job duties, functions, and responsibilities for each position held.
- Résumés will not be accepted and statements such as "see résumé" will not be accepted. You may use "N/A" for fields that are not applicable.
- Please note that Austin Energy may close the job posting at any time after 7 days from the date of the initial advertisement. Once the job posting has closed, applications cannot be changed.
Your skill level in some of the competency areas for this job may be assessed through skills testing.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED , undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution.
- If you are identified as a top candidate and are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
- This position requires a criminal background investigation.
- This position is categorized as Essential Personnel with the City of Austin. Essential staff are required to work during emergencies or bad weather if they are scheduled to work and, in some cases, when they are not scheduled. Essential employees ensure the continuance of key operations for the City of Austin.
- Work hours may include after hours, holidays, and weekends.
- Shifts may change according to departmental needs.
- Employee may be required to work additional hours outside of regular work schedule.
FAIR LABOR STANDARDS ACT :
- This position is considered FLSA Exempt.
- Exempt employees are salaried employees and, except as provided, are noteligible for overtime compensation.
Monday - Friday, 40 hrs/week. Schedule flexibility and telework availability.
Work schedule may change according to departmental needs.
Work hours may include after hours, holidays, and weekends.
Additional hours may be required to work outside of regular schedule.
Job Close Date 06/02/2023
Type of Posting External
Department Austin Energy
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location 4815 Mueller Blvd, 78723 - telework availability
- Licensed CPA (If not licensed in Texas, in the process of obtaining a CPA license within 1 year).
- Experience researching and presenting new and/or existing accounting standards.
- Experience preparing, analyzing, and presenting GAAP based financial statements.
- Experience preparing audit work papers for external auditors.
- Experience with the accounting close cycle and balance sheet reconciliations.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Provides coordination and oversees the collections of revenue and/or processing of customer payments; analysis, and clearing of delinquent accounts; notifying customers of insufficient payments; calculating/assessing delinquent fines/fees, etc. Prepares complex financial statements for external reporting or financial reports by preparing and/or overseeing the preparation of complex balance sheets, income statements, cash flow statements, and reports; collecting, analyzing, and summarizing general ledger account information and trends; applying advanced skills and knowledge of accounting and reporting requirements of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, GAAP . Prepares audit work papers for annual external audit or special audit by preparing, reviewing, and/or overseeing the preparation of complex supporting work papers for assigned area(s); providing explanations of City policy and procedures and responding to auditor questions and requests for information in a timely and accurate manner. Carries out complex projects by researching new accounting standards and related reporting/ information requirements, organizing/summarizing research results, and presenting recommendations to management for timely implementation in the City's Comprehensive Annual Financial Report. Maintains accounting ledgers by posting/reviewing and/or approving the posting of account transactions; ensuring transactions are processed in accordance with GAAP , City policy, applicable laws and regulations, and sound business practices. Leads reconciliation of general ledger and/or bank accounts and resolves account discrepancies by reconciling and/or reviewing the reconciliation of statements and transactions and investigating documentation; issuing stop payments, payments, or adjustments, and by facilitating discrepancy resolutions for other accounting staff members. Assists departments and other internal or external customers by drafting procedural, financial, and/or other information and guidance with automated or manual accounting systems. Provides guidance and direction through the review of asset, liability, inventory, and/or capital accounting entries as prepared by internal/ external department staff, and provides City-wide accounting software training or proctors Continuing Professional Education ( CPE ) classes. Assesses internal accounting controls for effectiveness; presents procedural recommendations to management; maintains financial security by documenting the established internal accounting controls.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
- Provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and guidance to others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Advanced knowledge of internal control systems.
- Advanced knowledge of financial reporting in conformity with generally accepted accounting principles, GAAP .
- Advanced knowledge of financial reporting concepts and preferred business practices.
- Knowledge of manual and automated financial systems.
- Knowledge of the preparation process of complex financial statements and reports in conformity with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Skill in classifying complex fiscal data and compiling fund level statements and reports.
- Skill in effective verbal and written communications.
- Skill in managing and processing large volumes of financial transaction data.
- Skill in analyzing and interpreting financial records.
- Skill in utilizing personal computer.
- Skill in designing and maintaining complex spreadsheets and data bases utilizing word processing software.
- Ability to prepare accurate and complex financial reports and statements.
- Ability to resolve problems or situations requiring the exercise of good judgement.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public.
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
The City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual's AIDS , AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* The Accountant IV position requires: Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to accounting, twenty-four (24) college semester hours in accounting plus four (4) years of accounting experience; one (1) year of experience as lead or supervisor; a Master's degree in Accounting or Business Administration may substitute for one (1) year of accounting experience; a CPA may substitute for the required four-year degree. Do you meet the minimum qualifications for this position?
* Are you currently a licensed CPA?
* Are you a licensed CPA in the State of Texas, or if not licensed in Texas, are you in the process of obtaining a CPA license in Texas within one (1) year?
* Do you have experience researching and presenting new and/or existing accounting standards?
* Describe your experience preparing, analyzing, and presenting GAAP based financial statements.
(Open Ended Question)
* Describe your experience preparing audit work papers for external auditors.
(Open Ended Question)
* Describe your experience with the accounting close cycle and balance sheet reconciliations.
(Open Ended Question)
* If selected as top candidate, do you agree to a Criminal Background Investigation?
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents