The San Mateo County Transit District serves nearly 100,000 customers each weekday on its SamTrans buses, Redi-Wheel paratransit vehicles, Caltrain commuter rail cars and shuttles, as well as a robust capital program. The Transit District, which is in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, also is the managing agency for the San Mateo County Transportation Authority. Staff enjoys a dynamic organization that fosters personal development and professional advancement of its staff. The Transit District's core values include integrity, customer focus, respect, quality, teamwork, leadership and accountability. Excellent benefits are provided.
TITLE: Accountant III
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Exempt (Full-Time)
DIVISION: Financial Reporting
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Sunday, October 8, 2023 (1st cutoff Sunday September 24, 2023)
PAY RANGE: $1,913 - $2,870 weekly ($99,511 - $149,267 estimated annual)
WORK LOCATION: San Carlos, CA
JOB SUMMARY: The Accountant III reports to the Director, Accounting and is responsible for performing and reviewing financial reporting activities in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). These activities will be performed for the San Mateo County Transit District (SamTrans), the Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Board (Caltrain), the San Mateo County Transportation Authority (TA), and the San Mateo County Express Lanes Joint Powers Authority (ELJPA).
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Oversee the month-end and year-end close including reviewing of general ledger account analysis, reconciliations, and review and approve journal entries.
- Review and verify reliability and integrity of financial data and accounting software systems.
- Review and evaluate accounting procedures, make recommendations for accounting systems and processes to ensure compliance with GAAP, Governmental Accounting Standards Board, Federal Transit Administration, and other laws and regulations.
- Act as a liaison between finance and other departments, organizations, and agencies. Respond to complex accounting questions and complaints as well as researching and responding to audit questions.
- Prepare audit schedules and have lead responsibility for audit requests and findings.
- Prepare Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports (CAFRs)
- Supervise staff. Hire, mentor, and take appropriate corrective and/or disciplinary action. Ensure EEO policies and procedures are followed. Participate in selection of staff. Coordinate staff training and professional development. Establish performance objectives. Monitor and evaluate employee performance.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Ensure monthly/quarterly/annual reports are submitted timely and accurately. Reports include but are not limited to monthly financial statements, monthly board reports, annual Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports, annual National Transit Database reports, annual State Controller's reports, and any compliance reports as needed.
- Prepare and submit monthly/quarterly claims to granting agencies with proper documentation and required forms completed for expense reimbursement. Ensure the submittals are in accordance with the terms of the agreement.
- Ensure audits are completed on a timely basis and respond to audit request, questions, and findings.
- Perform capital project accounting and manage and coordinate fixed asset physical inventories and investigate all exceptions.
- Communicate with internal and external stakeholders to resolve complex accounting issues, answer questions, resolve problems, and address complaints.
- Interpret rules and regulations of other government agencies that affect the District's accounting process.
- Update department procedures manual while continuously identifying areas where procedures can be improved.
- Evaluate job performance of staff which also includes the professional development of staff through the identification of on-the-job and other professional development opportunities.
- Perform all job duties and responsibilities in a safe manner to protect oneself, fellow employees and the public from injury or harm. Promote safety awareness and follow safety procedures in an effort to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISION : Works under the general supervision of the Director, Accounting, who establishes goals and objectives and evaluates performance.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS :
Sufficient education, training, and experience to demonstrate the knowledge and ability to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Development of the required knowledge and abilities is typically obtained through but not limited to:
- Bachelor's Degree in accounting, finance, or related field.
- Three (3) years of full-time accounting experience.
- One (1) year experience supervising staff.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license in California.
- Accounting experience in a governmental organization.
- Experience with general ledger, grants, fixed assets, and enterprise fund accounting.
- Experience with ERP databases, PeopleSoft.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
SELECTION PROCESS MAY INCLUDE: The process will include a panel interview and may include written and skills test assessments or supplemental questions. Only those candidates who are the most qualified will continue in the selection process. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an invitation to continue in the process.
CURRENT EMPLOYMENT BENEFITS AT SAMTRANS:
For additional information on SamTrans benefits, please visit, https://www.samtrans.com/jobs
Holidays: Seven (7) paid holidays, plus up to four (4) floating holidays per year
Paid Time Off: Up to 26 days per year
Cafeteria Plans: Medical, dental, vision care, group life insurance and more
Transportation: Free Bus Transportation for employees and qualified dependents
Work Location: Select positions are eligible to work remote up to 50% of the time
Pension: Social Security and California Public Employees Retirement Systems (CalPERS)
- Classic Members - 2% @ 60 benefit formula, 3 year average of highest compensation
- New Members - 2% @ 62 benefit formula, 3 year average of highest compensation
HOW TO APPLY:
- To apply, please visit the https://www.samtrans.com/jobs . Complete an online employment application by 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, October 8, 2023 (1st Cutoff September 24, 2023) . A resume will not be accepted in lieu of the application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- The Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the recruitment/examination process to accommodate applicants with disabilities upon request. If you have a need for an accommodation, please contact the Human Resources Department at (650) 508-6308 or email written request to email@example.com .
- SamTrans celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive and welcoming workplace environment. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Persons with Disabilities and Veterans are encouraged to apply.