Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to accounting, twenty-four (24) college semester hours in accounting plus three (3) years of accounting experience.
- Four completed years towards a five-year accounting degree, plus three (3) years of accounting experience.
- A Master's degree in Accounting or Business Administration may substitute for one (1) year of accounting experience.
- A CPA may substitute for the required four-year degree.
Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants
Working with Austin Energy provides a number of health and welfare benefits such as low-cost medical, dental, vision, paid leave time, a highly competitive retirement plan, career development opportunities and more. Please click HERE for more information.
- The City of Austin employment application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Please be sure to detail on the application all current and previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- The Employment Record should be complete with job titles, employment dates, job duties, functions, and responsibilities for each position held. Starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience from your application.
- Résumés will not be accepted and statements such as "see résumé" will not be accepted. You may use "N/A" for fields that are not applicable.
- Please note that Austin Energy may close the job posting at any time after 7 days from the date of the initial advertisement. Once the job posting has closed, applications cannot be changed.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED , undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution.
- If you are identified as a top candidate and are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
- This position requires a criminal background investigation.
- Monday through Friday; 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. with some flexibility
- Other work hours may be required to support Utility operations
Job Close Date 09/06/2023
Type of Posting External
Department Austin Energy
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location 4815 Mueller Blvd, 78723
- Valid Texas Licensed CPA (or ability to obtain on within one (1) year of hire)
- Experience preparing journal entries and balance sheet reconciliations
- Experience applying GAAP principles for the preparation of GAAP based financial statements
- Experience preparing audit work papers for external auditors
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Maintains accounting ledgers by posting/reviewing and/or approving the posting of general ledger account transactions; ensuring transactions are processed in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles ( GAAP ), City policy, applicable laws and regulations, and sound business practices. Provides coordination and oversees the collections of revenue and/or processing of customer payments; analysis, and clearing of delinquent accounts; notifying customers of insufficient payments; calculating/assessing delinquent fines/fees, etc. Prepares complex financial statements for external reporting or financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing general ledger account information and trends; applying advanced skills and knowledge of accounting and reporting requirements of GAAP . Prepares audit work papers for annual or special audit by preparing, reviewing, and/or overseeing the preparation of complex supporting work papers for assigned area(s) or funds; providing explanations of City policy and procedures and responding to auditor questions and requests for information in a timely and accurate manner. Researches current and new accounting standards and related reporting/ information requirements to ensure accurate and timely implementation; organizes/summarizes research results for presentation of recommendations to management. Leads reconciliation of general ledger and/or bank accounts and resolves account discrepancies by reconciling and/or reviewing the reconciliation of statements and transactions and investigating supporting documentation; provides guidance by facilitating discrepancy resolutions for other internal/external accounting staff members. Provides guidance and direction through review of asset, liability, inventory, and/or capital account general ledger entries as prepared by internal/external department staff. Assists departments and other internal or external customers by providing procedural/financial and/or other information and guidance with automated or manual systems. Maintains financial security by following established internal accounting controls.
Responsibilities - Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
- Provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and guidance to others
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of internal control systems.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles ( GAAP ), practices, and concepts.
- Advanced knowledge of financial reporting concepts and preferred business practices.
- Knowledge of manual and automated financial systems.
- Advanced knowledge of financial reporting in conformity with generally accepted accounting principles, GAAP .
- Skill in classifying fiscal data and compiling fund level statements and reports
- Skill in effective verbal and written communications.
- Skill in analyzing and interpreting financial records.
- Skill in utilizing personal computer.
- Skill in designing and maintaining complex spreadsheets and data bases utilizing word processing software.
- Ability to prepare accurate and complex financial reports and statements.
- Ability to analyze, recommend, and implement internal control systems
- Ability to resolve problems or situations requiring the exercise of good judgement.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public.
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual's AIDS , AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* The minimum qualifications for this position are a Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to accounting, twenty-four (24) college semester hours in accounting plus three (3) years of accounting experience. Four completed years towards a five-year accounting degree, plus three (3) years of accounting experience. A Master's degree in Accounting or Business Administration may substitute for one (1) year of accounting experience. A CPA may substitute for the required four-year degree. Do you meet the minimum qualifications for this role?
* Please describe how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position.
(Open Ended Question)
* Which of the following best describes your CPA licensure status?
- Have a current CPA in the State of Texas
- Do not have a current CPA in the State of Texas but in the process of obtaining a CPA license in Texas within one (1) year
- None of the above
* Please describe your experience preparing journal entries and balance sheet reconciliations.
(Open Ended Question)
* Please describe your experience applying GAAP principles for the preparation of GAAP based financial statements.
(Open Ended Question)
* Do you have experience preparing audit work papers for external auditors ?
* This position requires a criminal background investigation (CBI). By selecting the following, you are acknowledging that you understand if you are selected as a top candidate for this position, you will need a successful CBI to be hired.
- I acknowledge and understand this position requires a Criminal Background Investigation.
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents