Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to Accounting, twenty-four (24) college semester hours in Accounting, plus two (2) years of accounting experience; A Master's degree in a related field may substitute for 1 year of experience; CPA license may substitute for the education requirement.
Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants
Working with Austin Energy provides a number of health and welfare benefits such as low-cost medical, dental, vision, paid leave time, a highly competitive retirement plan, career development opportunities and more. Please click HERE for more information.
- The City of Austin employment application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Please be sure to detail on the application all current and previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- The Employment Record should be complete with job titles, employment dates, job duties, functions, and responsibilities for each position held. Gaps in employment must include an explanation and dates of unemployment. Starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience from your application.
- Résumés will not be accepted and statements such as "see résumé" will not be accepted. You may use "N/A" for fields that are not applicable.
- Please note that Austin Energy may close the job posting at any time after 7 days from the date of the initial advertisement. Once the job posting has closed, applications cannot be changed.
- Your skill level in some of the competency areas for this job may be assessed through skills testing.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED , undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution. You must also provide proof of your professional licenses or certifications.
- If you are identified as a top candidate and are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
- This position requires a criminal background investigation.
Monday through Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm.
Job Close Date 08/09/2020
Type of Posting External
Department Austin Energy
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location 721 Barton Springs Rd, Austin, TX 78704
- Licensed CPA in the State of Texas, or if not licensed in Texas, in the process of obtaining a CPA license in Texas within one (1) year
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Maintains general ledger information and reviews financial transactions by creating and/or monitoring electronic files and/or accounting documents.
Maintains accounting ledgers by posting/reviewing and/or approving the posting of accounting transactions of intermediate and higher dollar-value and complexity, insuring transactions are processed in accordance with City policy, applicable laws and regulations, generally accepted accounting principles ( GAAP ), and sound business practices.
Processes revenue collections and/or customer payments; prepares analysis of delinquent accounts, calculating/assessing delinquent fines/fees for supervisor/manager review; prepares/ reviews accruals and/or other accounting entries, insuring transactions are processed in accordance with City policy, applicable laws and regulations, generally accepted accounting principles, GAAP .
Prepares and/or reviews grant accounting entries and reconciliations by compiling and analyzing general ledger account information.
Prepares and/or reviews asset, liability, inventory, and/or capital accounting entries by compiling and analyzing general ledger account information.
Reconciles general ledger and/or bank accounts and resolves account discrepancies by reconciling statements and transactions and investigating supporting documentation.
Prepares financial statements and/or special reports by preparing balance sheets, income statements, cash flows, and other special reports; at an intermediate to advanced level; collecting, analyzing, and summarizing general ledger account information and trends; conducting variance analysis; applying intermediate skills and knowledge of accounting and reporting requirements; generally accepted accounting principles, GAAP .
Prepares audit work papers for annual or special audit by preparing accurate supporting work papers at an intermediate level for assigned area(s); work is reviewed by other staff; providing explanations of city policy/procedures and responding to auditor's questions/requests in a timely and accurate manner.
Assists departments and other internal or external customers by providing procedural/financial information and/or other information and guidance with automated or manual systems.
Carries out projects by completing projects of moderate to advanced levels of complexity and/or completing parts of complex projects.
Maintains financial security by following established internal accounting controls.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
• Knowledge of bookkeeping procedures.
• Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles ( GAAP ).
• Knowledge of the preparation process of financial statements in conformity with generally accepted accounting principles.
• Knowledge of financial reporting concepts and preferred business practices.
• Skill in effective verbal and written communication.
• Skill in analyzing and interpreting financial records.
• Skill in processing large volumes of numerical data.
• Skill in performing basic mathematical calculations.
• Skill in classifying fiscal data and compiling fund level statements and reports.
• Skill in operating a personal computer and related equipment.
• Skill in designing spreadsheets and utilizing word processing and database software.
• Skill in analyzing, preparing, checking and balancing routine fiscal transactions and accounts.
• Ability to prepare accurate financial statements at an intermediate level of complexity.
• Ability to resolve problems or situations requiring the exercise of good judgment.
• Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* This position requires graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to Accounting, twenty-four (24) college semester hours in Accounting, plus two (2) years of accounting experience. A Master's degree in a related field may substitute for 1 year of experience. A CPA license may substitute for the education requirement. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
* Please describe how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position.
(Open Ended Question)
* Which of the following best describes your CPA licensure status?
- Have a current CPA in the State of Texas
- Do not have a current CPA in the State of Texas but in the process of obtaining a CPA license in Texas within one (1) year
- None of the above
* If identified as a top candidate, do you agree to a Criminal Background Investigation (CBI)?
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents