The City of Newport Beach seeks a motivated and detail orientated individual to join our team. Currently there is one (1) full-time vacancy in the Finance Department .
- Perform a wide variety of responsible professional accounting work including the maintenance, compilation and review of various financial records
- Prepare various financial reports and financial statements; apply GASB pronouncements
- Account for complex financing of City projects and agreements
- Account for the City's grants and ensures compliance with applicable laws and regulations
- Prepare and maintain all tax and compliance filings; assist staff at various levels
- Perform a variety of technical tasks relative to assigned areas of responsibility
Ideal candidate will:
- Possess knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Be highly motivated and organized with a willingness to take initiative to learn quickly
- Possess a positive demeanor with good communication skills and an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, other departments, outside agencies and the general public
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Experience with Tyler Munis (enterprise resource planning solution) is a plus
This is the entry level class within the professional Accounting series. This series includes: Accountant and Senior Accountant.
A variety of work schedules may be available (e.g., 5/40, 9/80, 4/10).
Application Evaluation: Applicants are encouraged to apply early as the first review of applications will be completed on May 24, 2023 . In order for the application package to be considered complete, candidates are required to attach a resume to their online application.
Online Exam: Tentatively scheduled on May 26, 2023 . Top scoring applicants who pass the examination will be invited to a virtual interview.
Virtual Interview: Tentatively scheduled for week of June 5, 2023 . Passing applicants will be placed on an eligibility list that may be used to fill future vacancies as they occur.
The City offers a robust benefit package and membership in the California Public Employees' Retirement Systems (CalPERS). The CalPERS retirement formula is based on appointment date and membership status with CalPERS. Employees contribute 11.5% of pay toward the CalPERS benefit.
Please view online job specification for a more detailed description of specific job duties.
Please view online job specification for a more detailed description of specific qualifications.
Experience & Education and License/Certificate
A combination of experience and education that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities may be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Experience : None required.
Education : Equivalent to a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in accounting or a closely related field.
License/Certificate : Due to the performance of some field duties which require the operation of a personal or City vehicle, a valid and appropriate California driver's license and an acceptable driving record are required.
Please Note: Candidates deemed most qualified, as reflected in their application materials, will be invited to continue in the recruitment process. The prospective candidate must successfully complete a thorough background review, including being fingerprinted by the Newport Beach Police Department. The resulting report of your conviction history, (if any), will be evaluated along with the other information received in connection with your application. Except as otherwise required by law, a criminal conviction will not necessarily disqualify you from the position. The nature, date, surrounding circumstances, and the relevance of the offense to the position applied for may, however, be considered.
Disaster Service Worker: In accordance with Government Code Section 3100, City of Newport Beach Employees, in the event of a disaster, are considered disaster service workers and may be asked to respond accordingly.
Closing Date/Time: 5/24/2023 5:00 PM Pacific