Account Manager, Institutional Journals
Oxford University Press
Posted: September 14, 2023
Cary, NC, USA
We are the world's largest university press. We have both a worldwide reach and a personal understanding of local needs, partnering on the ground to adapt publications and resources to meet the individual needs of communities, societies, and countries. We partner with researchers, educators, and technology partners to stay ahead of the changing ways people around the world are accessing and sharing knowledge. With a presence in more than 50 countries and millions of customers around the world, an idea launched at OUP can have a global impact.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Account Manager, Institutional Journals is responsible for managing OUP's journals business with a portfolio of accounts across North America. This includes negotiating annual renewal agreements and new journals collection deals with academic institutions, using the most appropriate business model to meet OUP and the customer's needs.
Key Accountabilities include:
• Responsible for planning the journals business strategy for the agreed portfolio of institutional accounts including pricing models, content to be included and any changes to ongoing agreements such as converting them to Read & Publish.
• Seek out opportunities for new journals collections agreements with single institution customers in North America and follow up on leads generated by institutional sales representatives or the Library Marketing team.
• Responsible for introducing new OUP journals to existing institutional collection customers and presenting them with quotations to upgrade to the latest collection on an annual basis.
• Responsible for annual collection renewal negotiations with existing single institution journals collection customers and for hitting agreed targets for renewing existing content and adding new content to deals.
• Provide pre- and post-sales support to assigned portfolio of accounts for Oxford Journals collection agreements
• Ensure that journals collection quotations and orders are correctly loaded to the CRM system and are submitted for processing in advance of agreed deadlines
• Ensure that all customer interaction, quotations, and orders are fully compliant with OUP's anti-bribery and compliance programs
• Work with territory sales representatives across the region to communicate any developments or changes to accounts as well as follow up on any journals collection leads
• Conduct research and analyze data to look for opportunities to grow journals sales to individual institutions in the territory and well as to determine accurate price quotations
• Attend relevant library conferences, fairs, and make individual customer visits as required to help maintain positive customer relationships and grow sales
- Bachelor's degree, and/or work experience in a sales or account management environment
- Strong communication (verbal and written)
- Strong negotiation skills
- Analytical, numerical, research, and systems skills (particularly Excel)
- Experience and knowledge of the scholarly publishing industry and /or library sales preferred but not required
We care about work/life balance at OUP. We offer 15 days' vacation time that rises with service, 8 sick days, plus floating holidays, personal days, company holidays, and a 35-hour working week. We are open to discussing flexibility in respect of working hours and the use of technology to support regular remote working, dependent on role. We also have a great variety of active employee networks and societies.
We care for you and your dependents by offering health, dental, and vision insurance plans to our full-time employees. Each plan has multiple levels of coverage to fit your needs and has a high level of contribution made by OUP. In addition, we offer Employee Assistant Programs for all full-time employees, regardless of whether you elect in health insurance. We also offer life insurance and disability insurance.
We help make your money go further by providing a non-elective contribution on your behalf to your retirement plan of 7% of your salary and a matching contribution to the retirement plan of 50% on the first 6% of employee contributions on based earnings.
This role is also eligible for a sales bonus.
Position Location: This role can be hybrid, based out of Cary, NC, or remote in the United States.
GJC Level: I5 (for internal purposes only)
Salary: $46,550 - $69,825 dependent on skills and experience
We are committed to supporting diversity in our workforce and ensuring an inclusive environment where all individuals can thrive. We seek to employ a workforce representative of the markets that we serve and encourage applications from all.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)