Account Clerk I/II – Citywide
The City of San José, the Capital of Silicon Valley, is one of the nation's best managed cities and one of the top ten cities in which to live work and do business. Moreover, San José is the center of cultural government and economic activity for the region. The employees of the City of San José have embraced the following values: Integrity, Innovation, Excellence, Collaboration, Respect and Celebration. Salary range(s) for this classification are:
- Account Clerk I: $51,476.88 - $62,571.60
- Account Clerk II: $55,080.48 - $66,961.44
All ranges include an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing non-pensionable pay. Actual salary shall be determined by the final candidates' qualifications and experience.
This is a class-based recruitment. Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications for Account Clerk I/II will be added to the active Qualified Candidate Group and contacted when a department-specific vacancy becomes available. This candidate pool will supersede any active list. If you are in the current Qualified Candidate Group, you will need to reapply in order to be considered for future vacancies.
The City of San Jose invites applications for the citywide classification of Account Clerk I/II. An Account Clerk I/II will have good customer service skills, good verbal and written skills, and understand basic accounting work. This position will be responsible for the department's accounts payable duties and purchase orders. Typical duties include:
- Performs a variety of accounting and clerical duties involving processing transactions with arithmetic calculations.
- Batches invoices to proper accounts; posts ledgers; prepares purchase orders and requisitions. Posts, stores, computes prices, pro-rates fees, and issues permits. May serve as a timekeeper for smaller departments.
- Using well-established procedures and practices, processes payment documents; maintains petty cash funds; may serve as timekeeper for small departments; accepts and records revenue; prepares statements and bills; maintains records; and processes and verifies claims.
- Operates and utilizes a variety of standard office equipment, including but not limited to computers, printers, scanners, phones, calculators, fax, software programs, and accounting machines and equipment.
- Assists customers with getting correct account information, account balances to process their payments and other questions by calling the department or directing them to the correct locations for clarification.
- Batches invoices to proper accounts; posts ledgers; maintains equipment inventory lists and conducts periodic audits; prepares purchase orders and requisitions; and handles extensions, invoices, bills, vouchers and other fiscal documents, verifying their accuracy and completeness.
- Accepts payments, writes receipts and deposit slips; posts, stores, computes prices, pro-rates fees, and issues permits.
- Undertakes routine fiscal clerical duties such as performing arithmetic calculations, checking and balancing simple accounts, and posting data to various accounts.
- Participates in preparing personnel payroll, time cards or shift changes by preparing cards, entering changes affecting status or amount, computing net changes or charges and tabulating; audits a variety of timekeeping actions and generates/prepares payroll related reports.
- Participates in inventory, records of supplies, filing of fiscal-related documents, and general office related tasks.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, even if you have applied in the past, you should apply, to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
Education and Experience
Account Clerk I
Completion of high school or equivalent (General Education Development (GED) Test or California Proficiency Certificate).
Account Clerk II
Completion of high school or equivalent (General Education Development (GED) Test or California Proficiency Certificate) AND one (1) year of experience in accounting clerical work or office work using arithmetic clerical routines.
A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university may be substituted for the required experience.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history.
- Job Expertise - Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
- Communication Skills - Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people's ideas and thoughts .
- Computer Skills - Experienced with financial management system (FMS) or other accounting system and with common business computer applications including but not limited to: MS Outlook, MS Word, and MS Excel.
- Teamwork & Interpersonal Skills - Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills
- Customer Service - Demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers' needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently using professional demeanor.
- Flexibility - Makes effective decisions and achieves desired results in the midst of major changes in responsibilities, work processes, timeframes, performance expectations, organizational culture, or work environment.
- Multi-Tasking - Can handle multiple projects and responsibilities simultaneously; has handled a wide variety of assignments in past and/or current position(s).
- Reliability - Completes quality work assignments in a timely and efficient manner; fulfills responsibilities and maintains confidentiality as appropriate.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews .
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit , including spaces, for each text response.
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Isaiah Swendell at email@example.com
The application deadline is on Tuesday, November 21, 2023 at 11:59 PM. Please allow adequate time to complete the application and submit before the deadline or the system may not save your application. If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION, please email CityCaree firstname.lastname@example.org and we will research the status of your application. Please contact Human Resources at (408) 535-1285, or Human.Resources@sanjoseca.gov if you have any questions.