Final Filing Deadline: Monday, November 27, 2023
EXAM #: 23/80J21/11JJ
The County of Monterey Treasurer-Tax Collector's Office seeks dedicated and customer service-oriented individuals to fill current and future vacancies.
The Treasurer-Tax Collector's Office consists of three divisions: Property Tax, Treasury and Revenue. The Account Clerk provides support for all three divisions and handles a large volume of cash and check transactions. Incumbents also analyze account demographics, calculate charges ,receive and write receipts for payments, and perform a variety of data entry tasks, as well as statistical and financial record keeping duties according to established procedures.
This is the full working level position (journey-level). Work may initially be performed under close supervision; however, incumbents are expected to work with greater independence as they gain experience. Work is performed according to established procedures and does not require knowledge of general bookkeeping principles. This position involves heavy public contact on a daily basis.
The current vacancy is located in the Treasurer-Tax Collector's Office.
The Eligible List established by this recruitment process may be used County-wide to fill current and future vacancies on a regular full-time, part-time, or temporary basis.
This classification is part of a flexible series. Incumbents appointed at the lower level of the career series may be promoted up to the higher level of the career series subject to their meeting the employment standards for the higher class and a recommendation for their promotion by the appointing authority.
Examples of Duties
Receives, sorts and checks documents for mathematical accuracy and completeness.Records financial and statistical information from warrants, vouchers, purchase orders, claims and similar documents to ledgers, journals and logs; uses coding or accounting tables and searches files to complete and verify the accuracy of items being processed.Assists the public in person or by phone by answering inquiries related to the status of accounts; explains commonly used regulations and procedures; explains the proper use and completion of forms and documents; hands out or mails informational material.Receives, writes receipts for and records payments made in person or my mail.
To view the complete classification description , please visit the County of Monterey websit e : Account Clerk .
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE
Will have a proven track record demonstrating the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
A combination of experience, education, and/or training which substantially demonstrates the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
Working Knowledge of:
- Record keeping procedures in order to maintain statistical and financial records
- Basic arithmetic in order to prepare routine summaries of financial and/or statistical data
- General office procedures in order to file and retrieve records and reports.
Skill and Ability to:
- Make rapid and accurate calculations using addition, subtraction, multiplication and division principles
- Locate and correct discrepancies or errors in financial or statistical documents
- Read, understand and apply oral and written office policies and procedures
- Read charts, graphs and tables displaying statistical data.
- Communicate verbally in order to respond to inquiries from other departments and the public
- Operate a calculator, computer terminal and other office equipment
- Work effectively with the public and others contacted during the course of work
Examples of Experience/Education/Training
Any combination of training, education, and/or experience which provides for the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the duties listed above is qualifying. An example of a way these requirements might be acquired is:
One year of experience performing entry level clerical tasks which would include mathematical computations, statistical and other financial record keeping functions;
Nine months of experience performing entry level clerical tasks which would include mathematical computations, statistical and other financial record keeping functions, AND completion of a training course leading to an account/statistical clerk certificate.
REQUIRED CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The required conditions of employment include, but are not limited to the following:
- Possess a valid current Class C driver license at the time of appointment and possess and maintain a satisfactory driving record or provide evidence of suitable transportation which is approved by the hiring authority.
- Prospective employees for the Treasurer-Tax Collector will be required to submit to background review which may include a review of information concerning recent and/or prior employment, driving record, credit history, and record of criminal conviction.
- Positions in other departments may or may not require full background review.
- Be available to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, holidays, and during times of disaster and/or emergency.
County of Monterey offers an excellent benefits package. Please visit our website to view the General "J" Unit Benefit Summary Sheet . This information is not legally binding, nor does it serve as a contract. The benefits listed in the County of Monterey Personnel Policies and Practices Resolution or Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) prevail over this listing.
- As a condition of employment, prospective employees may be required to submit to a background review which may include a review of information concerning present and/or prior employment, driving record, credit record, and record of any criminal convictions.
- Employment is contingent upon acceptable documentation verifying identity and authorization for employment in the U.S.; a list of acceptable documents is available on the USCIS Form I-9.
- If you are hired into this classification in atemporary position, your rate of pay will be hourly, and you will not be eligible for the benefits listedin the summary.
- Veterans and their widows/ers who within the past five years have served on active duty for 30 or more days in a 1) national or State military emergency or 2) military expedition for which a medal was authorized, may be eligible for Veterans' Preference Points. To apply, veterans must submit an "Application for Veterans' Preference" with their application materials by the final filing date.
Application and Selection Procedures
Apply On-Line at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/montereycounty
by Monday, November 27, 2023, 11:59 PM(PST)
Hard copy applications may be obtained from and submitted during normal business hours Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM by contacting:
Attn: Human Resources
168 West Alisal Street, 1st Floor
Salinas, CA 93901
Phone: 831-759-6602 Fax: 831-759-6628
The selection process is tentative, and applicants will be notified if changes are made. To assess applicants' possession of required qualifications, the examination process may include an oral examination, pre-examination exercises, performance examination, and/or written examination. The competitive examination process includes submittal of required application materials. A complete application package will include:
- A completed County of Monterey Employment Application
- Responses to the Supplemental Questions
Applicants who fail to provide all required materials by the final filing deadline will not be considered. R esumes, cover letters, letters of interest, and other correspondence will not be accepted as a substitute for required application materials. All required application materials will be competitively evaluated. Those applicants that are determined to be the most appropriately qualified will be invited to participate further in the selection process.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AND REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION
Monterey County is a drug-free workplace and an equal opportunity employer. The County seeks candidates who can make contributions in an environment of cultural and ethnic diversity. Monterey County is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, contact Julie James, Human Resources Analyst, at (831) 759-6602, or ARCTTCHR@co.monterey.ca.us .
Closing Date/Time: 11/27/2023 11:59 PM Pacific